[meteorite-list] Cracking Brahin Pallasite

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:23 2004

Hi Ian,

> Last night I examined my two inch slice of brahin Pallasite
> and I've not looked closely at it for a while. It has developed
> a crack all along one side and when I gently applied pressure
> to the slice it broke in three pieces !! It's my fave piece
> and I've not been collecting for long so may have missed
> something but I was under the impression that Brahin was
> pretty stable. Am I wrong ?

Unfortunately, my experience has been the same as yours -- Brahin
is very susceptible to rusting and having its olivine crystals
pop out. Perhaps some of the newer material (large chunks!)
that have been showing up on eBay are better, but I have
my doubts. The only pallasite that comes to mind that has
even worse stability is Brenham.

--Rob