[meteorite-list] Of interest

From: magellon <magellon_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:23 2004

--------------36E2B4FAE04E922DB9058F47

>"I saw it fall from above roof height," Siobhan told BBC News Online.
>"It looked very unusual, with a bubbled surface and tiny indentations
>like volcanic lava.
>"It was shiny on one side and looked rusty as if it contained iron.

Sounds wrongish! Sure wish they showed a pict!
Is there a URL to this story?

>The stone could have come from Mars, according to expert on Earth
>impacts Dr Benny
>Peiser, of Liverpool John Moores University.

Why do the 'experts' say these things to the press? How about "it is more
likely to have been thrown by a boy from the other side of the building?"
Perhaps it is real, but I think not! Remember the lady who 'found' ( the
bolide so many saw) in her garden? Not a meteorite!
Ken
 Burnin' Desire

Rothery Melvin wrote:

> [...]
> teenager in North
> Yorkshire may have had one land on her foot.
>
> Siobhan Cowton, 14, was getting into the family car outside her
> Northallerton home at 1030
> BST on Thursday when a stone fell on her from the sky.
>
> " This does not happen very often in Northallerton "
>
> Siobhan Cowton
>
> Noticing it was "quite hot", she showed it to her father Niel.
>
> The family now plan to have the stone analysed by scientists at Durham
> University.
>
> "I saw it fall from above roof height," Siobhan told BBC News Online.
>
> "It looked very unusual, with a bubbled surface and tiny indentations
> like volcanic lava.
>
> 'Shiny'
>
> "It was shiny on one side and looked rusty as if it contained iron.
>
> "I've seen shooting stars before - but nothing like this. This does not
> happen very often in
> Northallerton."
>
> Mr Cowton, 45, told BBC News Online he would take the stone to be
> analysed himself.
>
> "It is not going to leave my sight because it is a very rare find," he
> said.
>
> "It is worth a lot to Siobhan.
>
> "We will have it mounted in a glass presentation case so she can keep it
> for the rest of her
> life.
>
> "After all it is not every day you get hit by a meteorite.
>
> "The odds of winning the Lottery are better."
>
> The stone could have come from Mars, according to expert on Earth
> impacts Dr Benny
> Peiser, of Liverpool John Moores University.
>
> "It could be billions of years old and come from the earliest formation
> of the solar system,"
> he told the Daily Mail newspaper.
>
> Most meteors are between five and 60 centimetres (1.95 in and 1 ft 11.5
> in) long, according
> to Durham University physical geography lecturer Dr Ben Horton.
>
> "Sometimes they have shallow depressions and cavities," he said.
>
> Related to this story:
> Meteorite 'changed Earth's history' (23 Aug 02 | Science/Nature) Rare
> space rock 'a gem'
> (22 Jul 02 | Science/Nature) Fireball ignites scientific curiosity (12
> Oct 00 | Science/Nature)
> Meteorite records early Solar System (05 Sep 00 | Science/Nature) Rare
> space rock in
> British lab (08 Sep 00 | Festival of science)
>
> Internet links: Durham University | Liverpool John Moores University
> The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites
>
> News Front Page | World | UK | England | N Ireland | Scotland | Wales |
> Politics | Business |
> Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health | Education |
> Talking Point
>
> ^^ Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | Feedback | ©

--------------36E2B4FAE04E922DB9058F47

>"I saw it fall from above roof height," Siobhan told BBC News Online.
indentations</b>
more likely to have been thrown by a boy from the other side of the building?"
( the bolide so many saw) in her garden?&nbsp; Not a meteorite!
Desire</a>
>>&nbsp;&nbsp; Change to World edition

not
he