[meteorite-list] children's meteorite book

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:22 2004

Hello Dave (and list),

There are many children meteorite books. One of the best educational wise
is an old one, Shooting Stars by Herbert Zim. Kids now days however might
enjoy the one made by Magic Schoolbus people since it has a cartoon. I do
not have it so I have not read it but the cartoon is quite educational so
imagine the books based on the cartoon are as well.

My favorite childrens meteorite book is "Call Me Ahnighito", it is not very
educational however...as per your request.

One of the latest is, Meteors and Meteorites By Gregory L. Vogt, Hardbound,
24 pages, (c) 2002 Capstone Press, IBSN: 0-7368-1120-6. I have not reviewed
it yet (...but do have it so sometime I will).

Here are some reviews of Children books I have been working on....note, the
_at_ symbols are colored on the page I have been working on for a grading like
level...sorry it wont show up in this e-mail..

Thanks, Mark Bostick

Shooting Stars

Written by Herbert S. Zim, Illustraded by Gusta Schrotter, Hardbound, 64
pages. (c) 1958 William Morrow an Company, New York, Libary of Congress
Catalog Card No. 58-6670, no dustjacket, (slightly) Illustrated hardcover.

Book Measures: 160mm x 217mm x 11mm or 6 5/16" x 8 1/2" x 1/2"
Book weighs: 287 grams or 10.145 oz

Mark Bostick's comments: This is a children's book but it is very nicely
illustraded. Illustrations include subjects from Ected iron meteorites to a
cross section of meteor crater. Many you can tell where made with the help
of real photos.

Call Me Ahnighito
_at_@@@@, @@@@@

By Pam Conrad and Illustrated by Richard Egielski, 30 pages, Hardbound, (c.)
1995, A Laura Geringer book, ISBN: 0-06-023322-2 / ISBN 0-06-023323-0 (lib.
bdg).

Release price: $14.95 US, $19.95 Canada

Book measures: 11 1/8" x 8 1/16" or 281mm x 205mm
Book weighs: 463.6 grams w/duckjacket, or 16.360oz w/dustjacket

Photos/Illustions in book: No photos. Illustator Richard Egielski won the
1987 Caldercott Medal for his work is Hey, Al, written by Arthur Yorinka.
He has collaborated with Yorinks on a number of other pichure books,
including Louis the Fish, nameda Best Book of 1980 by School Libary Journal.

Quote from Book: "But they begin to hammer at my sides and chip away little
pieces of me. Imagine little pieces of me! I'm worried I will be chipped
away into nothing.

>From dustjacket: A giant meteorite, born of star stuff, is sure there is mre
to life then lying buring in the frozen Arctic ground. For hundreds of
years he waits. Finally, in 1897, the Peary expedition pulls him out of his
icy hole and onto a New York-bound ship, where, to his joy, he is christened
"Ahnighito." Left in the Brooklyn Navy Yard for seven years, he must again
be patient untill, at long last, he is brought to his very own home, the
American Museum Natural History in New York, where everybody now knows his
name. Based on a true story of one of the largest meteorites ever to fall
to earth. Pam Conrad's masterful story, told from a highly unusal point of
view, and Richard Egielski;s strong narrative illustrations make this a
geological treat for any child who's ever picked up a rock or looked for a
shooting star.

Mark Bostick's comments: (Pronouced: Ah-Na-Heet-O) This is a great little
book all the way around! Egielski did a great job illustrating it. I nice
illustrated wrap around dustjacket. (Showing the Cape York meteorite fall).
  In this book the reader is the Ahnighito meteorite. The largest of the
Cape York irons. A cute little story that starts with Ahnighito frighten
and cold and ends with his safe and happy at a Museum. In my opinion the
best child's meteorite book and I'm not for sure who to give credit, the
writer or illustrator. It is totally un-educational. I think Stephen King
should do the sequel. Cutting pieces off Ahnighito (Just kidding).

Meteorites

by Paul P. Sipiera, 1994, hardbound, no duskjacket as released, 48 pages, ,
index, ISB: 0-516-01068-9

Book measures: 190mm by 220mm or 7 1/2 inches by 8 11/16 inches
Book weighs: 284 grams or 10.0 oz.

Mark Bostick's comments: This is children's book on the ABC's of
meteorites. The book get a few points for putting nice color photos
throughout, however it loses them for not noting what meteorite the photo is
of. It does have a word glossary in the back, something that is usually
missing from Children (meteorite) books. Cover features a nice photo of
Arizona Crater.

Space Rock

by Jon Buller and Susan Schade, 48 pages, 1988. Random House, IBSN:
0-394-99384-5

Book measures:
Book weighs:
Book rarity: The book was made by Random House so it should be somewhat
common. Being a kids book, and not a hardbound, dont exspect to find one in
mint condition.

>From back of book: Bob is just an ordinary kid- until he finds a talking
rock from outer space! Now he really has something neat for show and tell.
But will the other kids believe him? And will Bob find a way to get the
Space Rock Back to his own planet? Find out in this funny, far-out story!

Quote from book: It took me a long time to fall asleep that night. I was so
excited! Nothing ever happened to me. And now I had a rock from Outer Space.
Wait untill the other kids saw this.

Mark Bostick's comments: This is a Step-into-reading children's book. Its
a Step 3 book so its worded better then say a Dick and Jane book. It is
really funny. Not sure it this counts as a meteorite book, since the talking
space rock came from a space ship. It did fall through the sky.... I am
also pretty sure the writer was on drugs while writing this. It is really
funny.

Voygers From Space: Meteors and Meteorites
_at_@@@@, @@@@@

by Patricia Lauber, 74 pages, hardbound, (c) 1989, ISBN: 0-690-04632-4,
IBNS: 0-690-04634-0 (lib. bdg.). $14.95 retail at print, Chapters Include:
1. Raining Rocks?, 2. Ancient Collisions, 3. Asteroids: To Space, on Earth.
4. Comets: Visitors from Outer Space, 5. Comets and Planets, 6. The Tunguska
Event, 7. Dinosaurs and Meteorites,

Mark Bostick's Comments: This is a childrens books about meteorites and
meteors. Information on comets, astroids with a heavy focuse on meteorites.
  Includes a few photos that may be of interest to older readers. Such as
the photo of the Donahue meteorite and a photo of the hole put in Robert and
Wanda Dnhue's living room ceiling when the meteorite made its arrival.
Other meteorite photos include Cape York, Antarctic Meteorites, Tunguska,
Microtektites, and Arizona Crater. However is a childrens book, so unless
your thinking about buying this book for a kid, or just cant find any other
meteorite books you dont have, spend your money on a different book. The
Donahue meteorite photos earn it two stars.