[meteorite-list] Question about Meteorites on the Moon

From: Mark Miconi <mam602_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:22 2004

------=_NextPart_000_002F_01C24C91.C6E72080

Hello all,
Tonight my 8 year old son Christopher and I were out looking at the moon =
with our wholly inadequate telescope. It is fine for looking at the moon =
but lacks the optics needed for much else.=20

Anyways he is a very smart kid and asked me a couple of questions that I =
could not answer and I told him I would ask you all.

First he wanted to know if a meteor hits the moon is it technically a =
meteorite or are only meteors that hit the earth called a meteorite? My =
answer was that once a meteoriod hits a terrestrial body it is =
technically a meteorite.

Second he wanted to know what if any changes would occur to a meteorite =
once it is on the moon?=20
He is very smart and understands that weathering and a general erosion =
begins once a meteorite hits the earth due to the actions of our =
atmosphere, wind and rain. He was wondering if it were common place to =
go to the moon easily and find meteorites if they would be pristine or =
would solar winds, and other impacts by space dust, micrometeorites and =
the such erode them? And if the swings in temperature extremes that can =
occur on the moon effect them in any way.
My answer was that they would probably change a bit over time, but the =
amount of time that would be needed to cause any changes would be =
exponentially greater than that of earth.

The third question he asked was since there is virtually no weather on =
the moon to stir up dust and bury them meteorites would it be harder to =
find meteorites on the moon? My answer was that since there is no =
atmosphere to slow their descent that the impact speed would probably =
determine whether the meteorites would end up buried deeper in the =
surface and it would also depend on whether or not they would even =
survive the impact.

And last but not least he asked since the moon is smaller than earth =
would the density/number of meteorites on the moon be less than that of =
the earth? My answer was I would ask the experts on this list. (I took =
the easy way out on that one!)I told him that without an atmosphere to =
burn up any potential meteors that might hit the moon though it was =
smaller more would make it to the surface than on earth, but that =
without that same atmosphere to slow them down, many more would probably =
not survive the impact and would end up pulverized to dust by the =
impact.

I would really appreciate everyone's input. I will relay the answers to =
him, at 8 years old I do not think I can allow him unfettered access to =
the list due to the adult disturberences that sometimes take place on =
the list.
Please do not get too technical, although he is very smart, he recently =
tested 2 grades above the 3rd grade that the school board is insisting =
he remains in. He is in a program for gifted children and attends 4th =
grade math classes because he passed the third grade math program last =
year. School has started here already in Arizona and he is going to be =
tested in mid September to allow him to skip 3rd grade altogether.
I forward alot of the space news to him that is released and posted here =
and loves everything there is about space and meteorites.
He will be absolutely thrilled to read your responses to his questions.

I thank you ahead of time.

Mark and Christopher Miconi
Phoenix AZ

------=_NextPart_000_002F_01C24C91.C6E72080

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello all,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Tonight my 8 year old son Christopher =
and I were=20
out looking at the moon with our wholly inadequate telescope. It is fine =
for=20
looking at the moon but lacks the optics needed for much else. =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Anyways he is a very smart kid and =
asked me a=20
couple of questions that I could not answer and I told him I would ask =
you=20
all.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>First he wanted to know if a meteor =
hits the moon=20
is it technically a meteorite or are only meteors that hit the earth =
called a=20
meteorite? My answer was that once a meteoriod hits a terrestrial body =
it is=20
technically a meteorite.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Second he wanted to know what if any =
changes would=20
occur to a meteorite once it is on the moon? </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>He is very smart and understands that =
weathering=20
and a general erosion begins once a meteorite hits the earth due to the =
actions=20
of our atmosphere, wind and rain.&nbsp;He was wondering if it were =
common place=20
to go to the moon easily and find meteorites if they would&nbsp;be =
pristine or=20
would solar winds, and other impacts by space dust, micrometeorites and =
the such=20
erode them? And if the swings in temperature extremes that can occur on =
the moon=20
effect them in any way.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>My answer was that they would probably =
change a bit=20
over time, but the amount of time that would be needed to cause any =
changes=20
would be exponentially greater than that of earth.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The third question he asked was =
since&nbsp;there is=20
virtually no weather on the moon to stir up dust and bury them =
meteorites would=20
it be harder to find meteorites on the moon? My answer was that since =
there is=20
no atmosphere to slow their descent that the impact speed would probably =

determine whether the meteorites would end up buried deeper in the =
surface and=20
it would also depend on whether or not they would even survive the=20
impact.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>And last but not least he asked since =
the moon is=20
smaller than earth would the density/number of meteorites on the moon be =
less=20
than that of the earth?&nbsp; My answer was I would ask the experts on =
this=20
list. (I took the easy way out on that one!)I told him that without an=20
atmosphere to burn up any potential meteors that might hit the moon =
though it=20
was smaller more would make it to the surface than on earth, but that =
without=20
that same atmosphere to slow them down, many more would probably not =
survive the=20
impact and would end up pulverized to dust by the impact.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I would really appreciate everyone's =
input. I will=20
relay the answers to him, at 8 years old I do not think I can allow him=20
unfettered access to the list due to the adult disturberences that =
sometimes=20
take place on the list.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Please do not get too technical, =
although he is=20
very smart, he recently tested 2 grades above the 3rd grade that the =
school=20
board is insisting he remains in. He is in a program for gifted children =
and=20
attends 4th grade math classes because he passed the third grade math =
program=20
last year. School has started here already in Arizona and he is going to =
be=20
tested in mid September to allow him to skip 3rd grade =
altogether.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I forward alot of the space news to him =
that is=20
released and posted here and loves everything there is about space and=20
meteorites.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>He will be absolutely thrilled to read =
your=20
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I thank you ahead of time.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Mark and Christopher =
Miconi</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Phoenix AZ</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_002F_01C24C91.C6E72080--