[meteorite-list] Dean's new dark NWA BL's

From: Matteo Chinellato <mcomemeteorite2000_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:19 2004

Hello all

For my NWA's I send to the Institute 20 grams or the
20% of the mass and for the moment is go all ok.
Regards

Matteo

--- "Matson, Robert" <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_saic.com> wrote:
> Hi Bernd, Dean and list,
>
> Bernd asked:
>
> "I have never had a meteorite classified and so I
> don't know how much
> such a classification would cost. But there are
> about 40 BL-owners.
> Now what if one piece of these unique stones was
> sent to an institution
> for classification. Each owner of one of these BL's
> might then pay 1/40
> of the sum such a classification costs. It would be
> put on everybody's
> shoulders, not just on one person's and all of us
> could profit from the
> outcome. Just an idea."
>
> It's a sensible idea, assuming you can find a lab
> willing to
> do the work. The required type specimen for
> Meteoritical Society
> purposes is 20 grams, though I expect any
> institution that agrees
> to do the classification will want more than 20g for
> a hot desert,
> ordinary chondrite -- even a brecciated one. (It's
> not the sort
> of stone anyone is going to be spending time writing
> papers about.)
> You'll probably need to sweeten the deal to 50
> grams, and it
> would help your case even more to provide a thin
> section for
> probing.
>
> Best,
> Rob

=====
M come Meteorite - Matteo Chinellato
Email: mcomemeteorite2000_at_yahoo.it
Sale Site: http://www.mcomemeteorite.com Collection Site: http://www.mcomemeteorite.info
MSN Messanger: spacerocks_at_hotmail.com
EBAY.COM:http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/mcomemeteorite_at_excite.it/