[meteorite-list] Denver Show 2001 - Part 1

From: Mark Bostick <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:17 2004

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C246D1.0F80BE80

Hello List,

With the Denver show coming up I thought I would post the article I =
wrote that was published in Voyage Meteorite and Space Events magazine =
last year. If you have not made plans to attend the show and can I would =
suggest going. I had a lot of fun last despite....well...Sept. 11th.

Thanks, Mark Bostick

Colorado Mineral & Fossil Show and the Denver Meteorite No-Prize Awards!

by Mark Bostick "The Big Collector"

The week of the Denver Meteorite Show promised to be a pleasant one. =
Unfortunly, Tuesday morning a series of passenger planes hijacked by a =
terrorist group where crashed into the World Trade Center and the =
Pentagon killing thousands. The falling of the second Trade Tower made =
this disaster even worst as rescue and firefights had just gathered =
under it. This was the sour setting for Denver 2001.

Thursday...

After a complete grounding of airplanes shorlty after attacks began 2 =
days prior, air traffic was offically opened in America at 11:00am. =
However, airlines are slow getting started and my 6:45pm flight was =
cancelled. Luckly, I was able to book an early flight for the next =
morning.

Friday morning.....

6:00am, After standing in a United Airlines line for 2 hours I was =
informed my plane had been cancelled....again. From my understanding =
United Airlines grounded all flights till monday. (or at least they did =
here in Wichita, Kansas). Since I purchased my ticket through =
Priceline.com it was non-transferable. Bad airline people...they could =
have at least answered their phone, which was off the hook and saved me =
the trip done here.

11:00am: I have recruited my brother, Bradley Bostick, and we have =
rented a car and are now on our way to Denver. The 2nd Annual COMETS =
meteorite auction is tonight. I am hoping to make good time and not miss =
it but was fearing we would. My brother was fearing his girlfriend would =
kill him for leaving for the weekend without "permission".

Kansas, the state where I live, is right next to Colorado....The =
crossing city is Kansorado. Two detours, seven hours and about 515 miles =
later, we arrived in Denver. The country is still in mourning and about =
1 in 15 cars, trucks and vans that we passed or passed us, carried flags =
or patriotic messages.=20

You could tell when we reached Denver as it started raining. After =
following a misleading map we made it in the area near the auction house =
but could not find the right building. Asking a truck driver, kind =
enough to come over to our car for directions, he told us we were at the =
wrong building. Something that was obvious. After driving in a couple =
circles we now found a group of hispanic warehouse workers. However none =
of these spoke any english. Just before we threw up our hands, we drove =
down a driveway and found the right place.

It was now 6:20pm and auction doors have just opened.=20

The auction house, The showroom of Dave Bunk, is empty except for Ginger =
Mayfield and a couple of the Colorado Meteorite Club members, or COMETS. =
Leaving out of plan I didn't bring anything with me, I had nothing to =
register and it appeared at least an hour before anything was to happen =
here. We decided to leave and come back.We passed the main meteorite =
place, the Holiday Inn on the way to the auction and now made a quick =
backtrack.=20

A Russian seller with hand made necklaces composed of magnets blocked my =
path. In a hey old buddie drunken like manner he hussled me over to his =
table. Here I was fitted with a bracelet that I was told would cure =
cancer among other ailments. They did look nice but my brother was more =
interested in the jewelry then I was. I play around computers too much =
to wear magnets. After a brief walk around and a couple small purchases =
and it was back to the auction.=20

Now a lot of people have gathered. The Denver comets, Anne Black =
(Impactika), Fred Olson, Mike Jensen (Jensen Meteorites), Mike Farmer, =
Steve Arnold (MeteoriteBroker), Jim Strope, Dean Bessey (The Meteorite =
Shop), Eduardo Jawerbaum (Meteorites.com, or at least for the moment, =
hush hush), Eric Olson, and many others stood around friendly chatting.

The planned auctioneer Michael Blood was not able to attend after the =
airport closed in San Diego. Mike Jensen took over the job well and good =
deals were plentiful. Bidding numbers were distibuted and I recieved =
bidding number 1. A number that had to be lucky....right?

COMETS, Anne Black and Ginger Mayfield shuffled most of the papers and =
my brother helped by showing around the items while they were being =
bidded on. Other COMET members passed drinks when needed and stood =
around taking up space. The garage like room with a frame of mineral =
bearing tables was filled with over thirty people.=20

Mike Jensen would describe each item and give its price. Then he would =
mumble a little and compute the grams per a dollar. I made what seemed =
like a million bids but got out owing much less then I thought I would.=20

Dean Bessey entered several morrocans, a couple of the NWA869 and thin =
sections..Many of these were some of the sleepers of the auction and an =
example of the soft market that hanged over this show. The larger =
Moroccans failed to meet bids, the smaller ones getting only around $.10 =
a gram. Thin Sections sold well under value. A great example being the =
Allende thins that hit $28.00 and $30.00. (The $30.00 one purchased by =
me.) A 333 gram NWA869 L4 individual went well under value at $35.00. A =
large one failed to meet its low starting bid. A small part slice of =
Dean's NWA001 L6, kind of a historical meteorite, managed a bid around =
$6.00 a gram.=20

Steve Arnold, Meteoritebroker.com, had some nice US meteorite slices =
from the Jim Westcott collection, a former friend of Harvey Nininger. =
Many of there carried what Steve called "The Westcott Polish". His =
started bids where very reasonable but again it was a buyers market and =
many things failed to get bids. Also on the auction block from Arnold =
were several Gao's that averaged $1.00 a gram for the small ones and =
$.50 a gram for an 80 plus gram individual. I managed a small oriented =
Gao with a lip for a $1.00 a gram and a 1 gram slice of an oriented =
lipped Gao for $6.00.=20

Eduardo Jawerbaum (Meteorites.com) entered several nice items. The one =
thing that caught my eye was a 20.5 gram Gao-Genie with nice black =
crust. A friendly bidding fight with the auctioneer and I walked away =
with the Gao for $35.00. The auction was again soft and many of =
Jawerbaum's items where returned unbidded.

180 something grams of Lybian Glass entered into the auction by Anne =
Black made the starting bid of $.50 a gram while a very nice Gold-Lybian =
Glass Pendant failed to meet the very reasonable $30.00 opening bid.=20

A copy of "A Comet Hits the Earth" by Nininger, signed by his daughter =
Margarate Huss, was a steal at the $15.00 bid I got it for. This item =
was entered in the Auction by Fred Hall.

.

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C246D1.0F80BE80

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><FONT size=3D2>
<P>Hello List,</P>
<P>With the Denver show coming up I thought I would post the article I =
wrote=20
that was published in Voyage Meteorite and Space Events magazine last =
year. If=20
you have not made plans to attend the show and can I would suggest =
going. I had=20
a lot of fun last despite....well...Sept. 11th.</P>
<P>Thanks, Mark Bostick</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P></FONT>
<P><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">Colorado Mineral &amp; Fossil Show and =
the=20
Denver Meteorite No-Prize Awards!</FONT></P><FONT size=3D2>
<P>by Mark Bostick "The Big Collector"</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>The week of the Denver Meteorite Show promised to be a pleasant one.=20
Unfortunly, Tuesday morning a series of passenger planes hijacked by a =
terrorist=20
group where crashed into the World Trade Center and the Pentagon killing =

thousands. The falling of the second Trade Tower made this disaster even =
worst=20
as rescue and firefights had just gathered under it. This was the sour =
setting=20
for Denver 2001.</P>
<P>Thursday...</P>
<P>After a complete grounding of airplanes shorlty after attacks began 2 =
days=20
prior, air traffic was offically opened in America at 11:00am. However, =
airlines=20
are slow getting started and my 6:45pm flight was cancelled. Luckly, I =
was able=20
to book an early flight for the next morning.</P>
<P>Friday morning.....</P>
<P>6:00am, After standing in a United Airlines line for 2 hours I was =
informed=20
my plane had been cancelled....again. From my understanding United =
Airlines=20
grounded all flights till monday. (or at least they did here in Wichita, =

Kansas). Since I purchased my ticket through Priceline.com it was=20
non-transferable. Bad airline people...they could have at least answered =
their=20
phone, which was off the hook and saved me the trip done here.</P>
<P>11:00am: I have recruited my brother, Bradley Bostick, and we have =
rented a=20
car and are now on our way to Denver. The 2nd Annual COMETS meteorite =
auction is=20
tonight. I am hoping to make good time and not miss it but was fearing =
we would.=20
My brother was fearing his girlfriend would kill him for leaving for the =
weekend=20
without "permission".</P>
<P>Kansas, the state where I live, is right next to Colorado....The =
crossing=20
city is Kansorado. Two detours, seven hours and about 515 miles later, =
we=20
arrived in Denver. The country is still in mourning and about 1 in 15 =
cars,=20
trucks and vans that we passed or passed us, carried flags or patriotic=20
messages. </P>
<P>You could tell when we reached Denver as it started raining. After =
following=20
a misleading map we made it in the area near the auction house but could =
not=20
find the right building. Asking a truck driver, kind enough to come over =
to our=20
car for directions, he told us we were at the wrong building. Something =
that was=20
obvious. After driving in a couple circles we now found a group of =
hispanic=20
warehouse workers. However none of these spoke any english. Just before =
we threw=20
up our hands, we drove down a driveway and found the right place.</P>
<P>It was now 6:20pm and auction doors have just opened. </P>
<P>The auction house, </FONT><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D2>The =
showroom of=20
Dave Bunk</FONT><FONT size=3D2>, is empty except for Ginger Mayfield and =
a couple=20
of the </FONT><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D2>Colorado Meteorite =
Club=20
members, or COMETS</FONT><FONT size=3D2>. Leaving out of plan I didn't =
bring=20
anything with me, I had nothing to register and it appeared at least an =
hour=20
before anything was to happen here. We decided to leave and come back.We =
passed=20
the main meteorite place, the Holiday Inn on the way to the auction and =
now made=20
a quick backtrack. </P>
<P>A Russian seller with hand made necklaces composed of magnets blocked =
my=20
path. In a hey old buddie drunken like manner he hussled me over to his =
table.=20
Here I was fitted with a bracelet that I was told would cure cancer =
among other=20
ailments. They did look nice but my brother was more interested in the =
jewelry=20
then I was. I play around computers too much to wear magnets. After a =
brief walk=20
around and a couple small purchases and it was back to the auction. </P>
<P>Now a lot of people have gathered. The Denver comets, Anne Black =
(Impactika),=20
Fred Olson, Mike Jensen (Jensen Meteorites), Mike Farmer, Steve Arnold=20
(MeteoriteBroker), Jim Strope, Dean Bessey (The Meteorite Shop), =
</FONT><FONT=20
face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D2>Eduardo Jawerbaum (Meteorites.com, or =
at least for=20
the moment, hush hush), Eric Olson, and many others stood around =
friendly=20
chatting.</P>
<P>The planned auctioneer Michael Blood was not able to attend after the =
airport=20
closed in San Diego. Mike Jensen took over the job well and good deals =
were=20
plentiful. Bidding numbers were distibuted and I recieved bidding number =
1. A=20
number that had to be lucky....right?</P>
<P>COMETS, Anne Black and Ginger Mayfield shuffled most of the papers =
and my=20
brother helped by showing around the items while they were being bidded =
on.=20
Other COMET members passed drinks when needed and stood around taking up =
space.=20
The garage like room with a frame of mineral bearing tables was filled =
with over=20
thirty people. </P>
<P>Mike Jensen would describe each item and give its price. Then he =
would mumble=20
a little and compute the grams per a dollar. I made what seemed like a =
million=20
bids but got out owing much less then I thought I would. </P>
<P>Dean Bessey entered several morrocans, a couple of the NWA869 and =
thin=20
sections..Many of these were some of the sleepers of the auction and an =
example=20
of the soft market that hanged over this show. The larger Moroccans =
failed to=20
meet bids, the smaller ones getting only around $.10 a gram. Thin =
Sections sold=20
well under value. A great example being the Allende thins that hit =
$28.00 and=20
$30.00. (The $30.00 one purchased by me.) A 333 gram NWA869 L4 =
individual went=20
well under value at $35.00. A large one failed to meet its low starting =
bid. A=20
small part slice of Dean's NWA001 L6, kind of a historical meteorite, =
managed a=20
bid around $6.00 a gram. </P>
<P>Steve Arnold, Meteoritebroker.com, had some nice US meteorite slices =
from the=20
Jim Westcott collection, a former friend of Harvey Nininger. Many of =
there=20
carried what Steve called "The Westcott Polish". His started bids where =
very=20
reasonable but again it was a buyers market and many things failed to =
get bids.=20
Also on the auction block from Arnold were several Gao's that averaged =
$1.00 a=20
gram for the small ones and $.50 a gram for an 80 plus gram individual. =
I=20
managed a small oriented Gao with a lip for a $1.00 a gram and a 1 gram =
slice of=20
an oriented lipped Gao for $6.00. </P>
<P>Eduardo Jawerbaum (Meteorites.com) entered several nice items. The =
one thing=20
that caught my eye was a 20.5 gram Gao-Genie with nice black crust. A =
friendly=20
bidding fight with the auctioneer and I walked away with the Gao for =
$35.00. The=20
auction was again soft and many of Jawerbaum's items where returned=20
unbidded.</P>
<P>180 something grams of Lybian Glass entered into the auction by Anne =
Black=20
made the starting bid of $.50 a gram while a very nice Gold-Lybian Glass =
Pendant=20
failed to meet the very reasonable $30.00 opening bid. </P>
<P>A copy of "A Comet Hits the Earth" by Nininger, signed by his =
daughter=20
Margarate Huss, was a steal at the $15.00 bid I got it for. This item =
was=20
entered in the Auction by Fred Hall.</P>
<P>.</P></FONT></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C246D1.0F80BE80--