[meteorite-list] 2002NY40 Flyby

From: Jensan Scientifics/ Sci-Mall <jensan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:17 2004

Hi Bernd and all,

Well, we just came in from observing asteroid 2002NY40 hummmm past
Earth!

Conditions were 65 F, a bit gusty from the north (cold front a few hours
ago swept "most" cloud away....YAH!), but still a little high, thin
cloud that gave the stars a hint of fuzzy halo.

Using an AstroPhysics 105mm f6 and a 9mm Nagler eyepiece for a
magnification of 70x, it was our first eyeball view of any
asteroid....and to see it actually move past the background stars as one
watched....awesome!

After following it for awhile, we took Bernd's suggestion and visited
the Hercules Globular Cluster M13, the Ring Nebula M57, and of course
Albireo. The setting first quarter Moon was pumpkin-orange, and
undulating with rising air currents as the night sky sucks the heat from
the ground. Even so, it and the near-miss asteroid really do bring home
to us the astounding priviledge of holding samples from them in our
hands here on the ground.

Time for a cup of hot joe, and "goodnight".......

Dave and Sarah