[meteorite-list] Flying Ball Of Light Seen Over Canada

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:17 2004

http://www.canada.com/vancouver/news/story.asp?id={8ECA5644-A4CA-4881-836C-BBAA8108F909}

Interior residents: We saw flying ball of light
Nicole Fitzgerald
The Province (Canada)
August 14, 2002

SMITHERS -- Reports of UFO sightings are flying around the central
Interior and the credibility of the sightings is gaining momentum.

"I can't keep up with all that is going on," said an excited and
exhausted Brian Vike, a UFO researcher in Houston.

Already this year, more than 70 sightings of unidentified flying objects
have been reported in northern B.C.

Since a local story was published last week, a handful of witnesses have
come forward claiming they saw a ball of light similar to one that Telkwa
resident Gordon Stewart reported seeing on July 29.

Teacher Dina Hanson of Quick called Stewart to share the details of her
sighting, which she recorded in her journal the day after her experience.

Her son, civic engineer Ryan Hanson, also saw the object, which partially
matched Stewart's description.

The Hansons' sightings took place five minutes earlier than Stewart's
sighting, and involved a bright light travelling at high speed in a
southwesterly direction. In both cases, the observers commented on
the awe-striking brightness and size of the light and the lack of
associated sound.

Dina Hanson originally attributed her experience to a meteorite
sighting, but after a phone call to a professor at the University of
Northern B.C. revealed that meteorites produce sound, she is uncertain.

"I am pretty cynical about things like UFOs," she said. "But because
there was no sound, I think it is remotely possible it was something else."

A Smithers family of late-night hot-tubbers, two adults and their children,
also contacted Stewart, sharing a similar story, adding that the light
went through a series of loops.

Smithers resident Dan Derbyshire reported an unrelated sighting, saying
he wanted to support those stumbling upon these unexplainable phenomena.

"Sometimes people feel they are the only ones [who are seeing unusual
sights]," Derbyshire said. "But, I thought I'd let them know they aren't
alone."

He stated he is a believer in UFOs, but dismissed his own sighting as
that of an American flight exercise.

Vike surmises Derbyshire's suspicions are correct after a series of phone
calls attributed that sighting to a military reconnaissance drone passing
overhead.

Stewart is heartened by the additional reports coming in.

"[People] can't say I've lost my marbles," Stewart laughed. "There are
too many people who have seen it. I am not the only one."