[meteorite-list] Fireballs, meteor sounds, nomenclature, etc.

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:16 2004

Ed Majden wrote:

"Generally we term a meteor a fireball if it is
brighter than -3.0 magnitude or so. Depending on the
type of fireball your taking about, shower type or
meteorite dropping kind, this should be re-defined.
A -3.0 fireball is not likely to drop a meteorite.
These definitions should be refined by the
professional nomenclature groups so when people talk
about these things we are talking about the same
thing!"

Here, here, Ed!

I (and many others in the meteorite community) are in
total agreement with you.

We feel that this has been long overdue.

With best regards,
Bob Verish