[meteorite-list] Digital cameras

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:13 2004

Hi Geoff and List,

Geoff posted:

"The 880 is, unfortunately, no longer in production. Nikon's current
comparable (or superior?) cameras are the 995 and the 5000. I have
worked with the 995 and achieved good results, but it is considerably
larger and heavier than the 880. I have not yet had an opportunity to
try out the 5000, but it looks most impressive."

Even better than the Nikon Coolpix 5000 is the even newer Coolpix 5700,
which was introduced May 29th this year. A coworker of mine picked
one up for $1200. This is the first digital camera that I've given
serious consideration toward buying as an adjunct to my Canon EOS-
series. Both the -5000 and the -5700 are 5 megapixel cameras, but
the latter has an impressive new 14-element zoom lens (up to 8x
optical zoom). Digital zoom is up to 4x for a combined 32x. In
macro mode it can focus on objects only 3 cm away. Shutter speeds
from 1/4000 to 8 seconds, and for meteor or astrophotographs there
is a bulb setting (up to 5 minutes). The weight is only 16.9 oz
(without the battery).

--Rob