[meteorite-list] Tektite Question

From: Mike Groetz <mpg444_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:12 2004

Good Morning-
   Something I have noticed some of my tektite
specimens and have also seen in some of the photos of
those for sale- many of them have a "flat" along one
side of the elongated pieces.
    The flats are not perfectly straight so I do not
believe they are man made. My thoughts include falling
on a relatively flat surface while semi-molten (but
they should have cooled by then I would have thought),
been separated when found if they were connected, or
crystalization (highly unlikely..).
   Have any of you noticed this also? Any theories?

Have a good day.
Mike Groetz