[meteorite-list] How do you know?

From: thornysahuaro <thornysahuaro_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:12 2004

Greetings to all.
I have been told that only one in one thousand rocks submitted to the
experts at the universities and other meteorite identification labs, turns
out to be an actual meteorite. If this is true, how can the hundreds of
uncut, unclassified rocks from northwest Africa be passed off as
meteorites? I'm not questioning that they all are, and I'm certainly not
doubting any of the list members who are selling them. I just would like
to know if there is some magical test. Is the Sahara, like the ice of
Antarctica, the test itself? Does any rock that sits on the sand
automaticly become a meteorite candidate because that is the only way it
could have gotten there?
I've got on my asbestos BVD's, so light the flamethrowers.
Thorny