[meteorite-list] New meteorite hunting method?

From: Mike Groetz <mpg444_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:12 2004

Hi Tom-
   Yes, I have done it since I was about 12 years old.
My rods are 14" long, bent at 4" right angle. Hold the
4" pieces vertical in your fists adjacent to each
other with the long 10" ends parallel outward maybe
2" apart and horizontal to the ground. Walk foward
slightly shuffling your feet. When an object is found-
they will spread apart away from each other. At the
widest point- look directly down from your fists.
   My Grandfather from Germany taught my Dad this.
They did it in WWII to detect land mines. Then my Dad
taught me (while my Mom watched and laughed! Thats OK-
she was teasing)
   Difference that I was told is they would detect
hollow items (such as the mines). From underground
pipes, drain lines, to wells mine have worked. I even
did it for my friends in high school 30 years ago
blindfolded using a Bic pen perpindicular to me on the
cement floor in shop class. Teacher was a bit beside
himself.
   For meteorites- I don't know. Guess I have to go
back to the hollow theory and wonder. Hey- if you have
some whole meteorite samples- try it on the living
room floor! (just don't let your wife watch!)
   Have a good night. Fun thought.
Mike

--- James_TOM Knudson <peregrineflier_at_hotmail.com>
wrote:

<HR>
<DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Hello List,&nbsp;lets put the dogs aside
for a moment;&nbsp;When I have to locate under ground
utilities, When the going gets tough I put my
companies&nbsp;$2000 dollar locator back in the truck
and get out my trusty copper rods and do it the old
fashion way! Yes I am talken Witching or dousing! Has
any one tried this time tested method of finding hard
to find things? <BR><BR><BR>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Thanks, Tom</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
with friends online, try MSN Messenger: <a
href='http://g.msn.com/1HM1ENUS/c144??PS=47575'>Click