[meteorite-list] Dogs and Meteorites

From: James_TOM Knudson <peregrineflier_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:12 2004

<P>Hello, I am not in the position to have a dog at the time, little less to train one:&nbsp;). I am just a firm believer that a dog could out search a human, metal detectors&nbsp;and all. You seem to think so&nbsp;also&nbsp;:). I did not think a shepherd would know how to work a field, I stand corrected. I am a hunter and a falconer and know only bird dogs. My first choice in a dog would be a Visla. They have one of the best noses out there. Although they are more of a hound&nbsp;even though they are a pointer! Do you know anything about Vislas? If not look them up. A lab would be my second choice. The big problem I see is being rich enough to travel the world in a moments notice upon hearing of a new fall. Then the question of the week; can you travel the globe with a dog(s) with out quaratines and permits???????????? The world may never know!!! <BR>Thanks, Tom</P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV><BR><BR><BR>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;From: "Chuck" <TALKTOCHUCK_at_COX.NET>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;To: <METEORITE-LIST_at_METEORITECENTRAL.COM>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Subject: [meteorite-list] Dogs and Meteorites
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 16:03:32 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Hello list and Tom,
<DIV></DIV>&gt;My name is Chuck Jenkins, I am a medically retired Firefighter (M.S.) I have
<DIV></DIV>&gt;been training Search and Rescue Dogs for over 20 years. There is probably
<DIV></DIV>&gt;very, very little that I do not know about Search Dogs and how they use
<DIV></DIV>&gt;their noses to search with.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;1. It will take a lot of time for you and your dog, it depends upon the dog.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;2. You must find out what metal or compound that you are wanting the dog to
<DIV></DIV>&gt;find for you. The Items must not be never touched by you or anyone (use
<DIV></DIV>&gt;rubber gloves). You can clean the scents with rubbing alcohol, rinse with
<DIV></DIV>&gt;water, rinse and dry it each time before you but it back into a Zip Lock
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Freezer bag and replace it immediately when ripped or torn (keep a unopened
<DIV></DIV>&gt;one with you when searching).
<DIV></DIV>&gt;You must play games with the dog like Fetch, You better not get this and
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Wheres the or Show me the Meteorite.The dog must be praised when he has
<DIV></DIV>&gt;found it or get's very close to it as if this act is the most wonderful
<DIV></DIV>&gt;thing that has happened to him and you. Start close and work farther and
<DIV></DIV>&gt;father away from for a max distant of around 100 ft. Rewards: a toy or small
<DIV></DIV>&gt;bits of food.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;This is very basic training guide, if you need help just E-mail me.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Choice of Dogs:
<DIV></DIV>&gt;You best is a LAB or a German Shepherd, note:a Shepherd is not a "City Dog"
<DIV></DIV>&gt; A pointer is a very bad choice as a search dog, they smell warm bodied
<DIV></DIV>&gt;living animals not cold item's, there noses are not set up for the kind of
<DIV></DIV>&gt;searching that you are looking for.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;The reason that the larger dogs are mostly used is, because their noses
<DIV></DIV>&gt;recycle the faint smells over and over again allowing them to smell it much
<DIV></DIV>&gt;better than the other breeds. A dog smells Forty Thousand to One Million
<DIV></DIV>&gt;times better that you or me. Larger Nosed dogs can lock in, rule out and
<DIV></DIV>&gt;stay on track to just one scent more than the other dogs breeds. Mutt's are
<DIV></DIV>&gt;just as good as any other breed, for not all dog's will be able to work for
<DIV></DIV>&gt;you. The dog that will best work for you will be the one who want's to
<DIV></DIV>&gt;please and please you.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;I hope that this helps, thank for you time in reading this,
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Chuck Jenkins
<DIV></DIV>&gt;talktochuck_at_cox.net
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Meteorite-list mailing list
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com
<DIV></DIV>&gt;http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/meteorite-list