[meteorite-list] Searching for more of Nakhla

From: Impactika_at_aol.com <Impactika_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:09 2004

--part1_11a.14e7b385.2a85d32c_boundary

In a message dated 8/9/2002 1:44:05 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_saic.com writes:

> A number of today's dealers won't even blink before flying to
> Morocco/Algeria to acquire specimens of a newly fallen LL6, so
> I find it curious that one or more of them don't follow up on
> a much more valuable Martian meteorite -- and a nahklite at
> that. Do the Egyptian export rules prohibit foreigners from
> removing meteorites from the country?

Last time we discussed the Nakhla meteorite, I asked Alain Carion about it,
since he goes to Egypt quite often.
He told me that he had visited the area once several years ago and discovered
that the strewnfield is gone. Literally. Because of the population
explosion, Egypt is trying very hard to increase the size of the fertile
areas. One method they have used is to remove about 50cm of top-soil over
large areas in the delta and then spread that rich soil thinly over the
desert. Apparently it works, I saw a lot of poverty but no starvation when I
was there.

But you might say that the size of the strewn field has increased
dramatically!!!!! :-)
Do you still want to go, Rob?

And another thing: the Egyptian government is getting very leery of those
foreigners who come explore their country. So far they are more worried about
archaeological artifacts leaving undetected than strange rocks, but it could
change.

Anne Black
IMCA #2356
www.IMPACTIKA.com