[meteorite-list] "Intro." and "Welcome!"

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:05 2004

Hello Tom,

I would like to extend a welcome to Tom, as well.
Actually, I can do better than that. Since I have
known Tom for most of this past year, I can vouch for
him that he did indeed start collecting so that he
could "learn what a meteorite looks like". I still
think this is the best way to "learn how to tell a
meteorite from a meteorwrong"!

Back when we first met, Tom was living near Gold
Basin, and he came to me for a specimen from that
strewnfield. He would carry it with him where ever he
searched in that part of Arizona. I guess the gang
from Tucson would call him a "Kingman local", but Tom
stood out from the "local" prospectors that I met in
that area. He was very good about getting his
potential "finds" identified. By doing this, he
learned a lot from John Gwilliam.

When Tom learned that an area that I was studying was
also where he had been searching, he started to send
his specimens to me for identification. As a result,
one of his "more peculiar finds" is presently at UCLA
awaiting thin-sectioning and a proper identification.

I am very confident that some time soon, if not
already, one of Tom's family outings will result in a
new meteorite find. :-)

Again, Welcome Tom!
Bob V.

[meteorite-list] Welcome!

Matson, Robert ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_saic.com
Thu, 1 Aug 2002 12:36:00 -0700

Hi Tom!

> I have been collecting meteorites for about a year,
> although I have always been fascinated with them.
> The only reason I started collecting is so I have a
> clue what to look for when I am meteorite hunting.

A sensible-enough reason! ;-)

> Hunting is a passion of mine, whether it be with my
> falcon, a gun or a metal detector. I have a wife and

> two girls 7 & 14 That enjoy hunting with me, no
> matter what I am hunting with.

Which begs the question: have you found any
meteorites?
Where have you meteorite hunted?

Best wishes and welcome to the list! --Rob

[meteorite-list] Intro.

James knudson peregrineflier_at_hotmail.com
Thu, 01 Aug 2002 12:33:10 -0700

<DIV>
<DIV>Hello List, I have been on the list for a few
weeks. I figured it is time to introduce my self. My
name is James T. Knudson, but, I go by my middle name,
Tom. I am 37 years old. I Am a falconer, hence
Peregrineflier_at_... As a Profession I am a Telephone
cable spicer. I have been collecting meteorites for
about a year, although I have always been fascinated
with them. The only reason I started collecting is so
I have a clue what to look for when I am meteorite
hunting. Hunting is a passion of mine, whether it be
with my falcon, a gun or a metal detector. I have a
wife and two girls 7 & 14 That enjoy hunting with me,
no matter what I am hunting with. I really enjoy this
Hobby and the people that practice it. Thank you, Tom
</DIV></DIV></DIV></div>