[meteorite-list] Sikhote - stopping rust and preserving

From: MuseumStore/NatureSource <musnat_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:05 2004

Yes, some Sikhotes in Tucson this past year were very heavily treated,
leaving big "oil stains" in the boxes they were displayed in. They did look
nice, but I'm sure there are many opinions as to whether this treatment
would diminish their desirability or not.

I have cleaned up many Sikhote Alins, and other irons, and have found that a
good way to begin is by using a vibrating rock tumbler with crushed walnut
shells instead of the usual grit. As long as you only do a few at a time to
keep them from banging together, it works well. Sometimes it is necessary
to clean up the deeper pits with a dremel tool, but the walnut shell
treatment saves a lot of time!

Regards from hot, sunny Alaska! : ))
Jeanne Devon
The Museum Store/The Nature Source