[meteorite-list] Re: Osmium ratios in irons and parent body size(s)

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:50:28 2004

Many Thanks, Frank -

The next problem is going to be to tie that osmium
data into parent body size(s). Another problem here
seems to be with istopic ratios and their relationship
to core concentrations. Decay ages are probably going
to be significant as well.

All of this is way out of my league, and even if I
came up with anything useful the chances of it going
much beyond this forum are nil. No doubt these osmium
ratios are going to be a key area of work in
meteoritics, and I'm looking forward to what the
experts come up with. Morgan makes a third person
looking at this problem, and his references should
give the total number of experts who have or are
looking at osmium.

My initial question arose from my interest in the
LPBE, and its causes, and its ties to the estimated
total population of potential Earth impacting
asteroids. I'm going to have to go off the meteorite
list in a few days, but I would appreciate it if you
could also forward a separate copy of this information
off list.

good luck on your trip,
and thanks -
ed