[meteorite-list] Lost Meteorite - Namibian Itzawisis Pallasite

From: Paul Harris <paul_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:49:02 2004

Dear List,

We received the following e-mail since we host the "Lost & Stolen
Meteorites and Tektites"
page at: http://www.meteorite.com/lost_stolen.html

If you have any information please contact Dr. Marian Tredoux below.

Thank you, Paul and Jim

_at_@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
The only known sample of the Namibian Itzawisis pallasite has disappeared
from the collection of the Transvaal Museum in Pretoria, South Africa,
where it was curated. The loss could have occurred any time in the past 2
decades.

This meteorite is of profound interest to a research programme being run at
the University of Cape Town, and we beg anyone with information about the
whereabouts of the Izawisis specimen, or any fraction thereof, to please
contact us urgently or send some material to us for non-destructive
chemical analysis. Contact details:
Dr Marian Tredoux mtd_at_geology.uct.ac.za
Dept of Geological Sciences 1085557_at_mail.uct.ac.za
University of Cape Town
Rondebosch 7700
South Africa.

27-21-650-3783 (fax)

Confidentiality ensured.

  Paul Harris paul_at_meteorite.com
  Jim Tobin jim_at_meteorite.com
  The Meteorite Exchange, Inc. http://www.meteorite.com
  PMB#455 P.O. Box 7000, Redondo Beach, CA 90277 USA
  FAX Number (310) 316-1032