[meteorite-list] Tornados

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:49:02 2004

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C14450.F4ADFC40

This is kind of off subject but a list member has asked me about =
Tornado's and chasing them so I thought others might be interested.....

When the weather conditions are right for a tornado. A tornado watch is =
issued. Many times the torndoe sirens will go off. They sound like Bomb =
Sirens. The storm watchers get busy....

Through maps and ham radio they spread out. There are basically two main =
teams here. The national weather team and the KFDI weather team. A local =
radio that does heavy coverage during storms. (and we seem of get a lot =
of them.)

For an official tornado it has to be spotted by one of these teams. =
Tornados form out of a straight line of clouds called a wall frount. =
Many times the clouds do not appear to be moving but if you look long at =
them you might see a rotation. This is a funnel cloud forming. It is not =
a tornado unless it touches the ground.=20

I can remember one time as a kid while my mom was driving her van seeing =
paper circle in frount of us. As our van drove under it the van shook. =
The funnel never touched ground so this was not really a tornado.=20

It is usually raining during a tornado. You know you are in trouble when =
everything gets quiet. Right before a tornado hits there is like no =
sound. No rain. No wind. No birds. Nothing.=20

Then it hits and everything is really loud. Then quiet again...then =
loud.....then its gone.

I've been through a few tornados that hit close and seen a few weird =
things. Some things shredded. Some things untouched.=20

Trailer homes that were dropped...sinks and toys thrown around.=20

One time a tornado (April 26, 1991, I think), removed two houses a block =
away. We lost power and water. The National Guard with tanks where in =
the streets. They gave us water while the local chruches fed anyone that =
was hungry. People come together and fix things and we go on.=20

Every year or two one finds its way here to Wichita. According to the =
indians Tornados woulkd avoid this place because of the fork in the =
river....but that appantly is not true. Though most storms do seem to go =
around us....

Most of the weather watchers get no pay, have to bu their own radios, =
pya for thier own gas, ect. It is their passion.=20

Just thing if one hit my house now, it would reate a collection of =
meteorites that flew through the air twice! Of course I woldn't know =
where they landed......

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C14450.F4ADFC40

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>This is kind of off subject but a list =
member has=20
asked me about Tornado's and chasing them so I thought others might be=20
interested.....</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>
<P>When the weather conditions are right for a tornado. A tornado watch =
is=20
issued. Many times the torndoe sirens will go off. They sound like Bomb =
Sirens.=20
The storm watchers get busy....</P>
<P>Through maps and ham radio they spread out. There are basically two =
main=20
teams here. The national weather team and the KFDI weather team. A local =
radio=20
that does heavy coverage during storms. (and we seem of get a lot of =
them.)</P>
<P>For an official tornado it has to be spotted by one of these teams. =
Tornados=20
form out of a straight line of clouds called a wall frount. Many times =
the=20
clouds do not appear to be moving but if you look long at them you might =
see a=20
rotation. This is a funnel cloud forming. It is not a tornado unless it =
touches=20
the ground. </P>
<P>I can remember one time as a kid while my mom was driving her van =
seeing=20
paper circle in frount of us. As our van drove under it the van shook. =
The=20
funnel never touched ground so this was not really a tornado. </P>
<P>It is usually raining during a tornado. You know you are in trouble =
when=20
everything gets quiet. Right before a tornado hits there is like no =
sound. No=20
rain. No wind. No birds. Nothing. </P>
<P>Then it hits and everything is really loud. Then quiet again...then=20
loud.....then its gone.</P>
<P>I've been through a few tornados that hit close and seen a few weird =
things.=20
Some things shredded. Some things untouched. </P>
<P>Trailer homes that were dropped...sinks and toys thrown around. </P>
<P>One time a tornado (April 26, 1991, I think), removed two houses a =
block=20
away. We lost power and water. The National Guard with tanks where in =
the=20
streets. They gave us water while the local chruches fed anyone that was =
hungry.=20
People come together and fix things and we go on. </P>
<P>Every year or two one finds its way here to Wichita. According to the =
indians=20
Tornados woulkd avoid this place because of the fork in the river....but =
that=20
appantly is not true. Though most storms do seem to go around us....</P>
<P>Most of the weather watchers get no pay, have to bu their own radios, =
pya for=20
thier own gas, ect. It is their passion. </P>
<P>Just thing if one hit my house now, it would reate a collection of =
meteorites=20
that flew through the air twice!&nbsp; Of course I woldn't know where =
they=20
landed......</P></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C14450.F4ADFC40--