[meteorite-list] Slickenside

From: Charlie <moonrock25_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:49:02 2004

Dear list members,

Can anyone clarify for me the origin of slickenside in meteorites? I
understand the term as it applies to terrestrial soils and sediments. I
have a large individual of Plainview(1917). It's a flat specimen, with
one side fully crusted. The other side looks more like a broken
surface, with crust lipping over the edge from the crusted side. This
"broken" surface is covered with glossy striations in large patches that
I'm assuming is slickenside. What I would like to know is if this
slickenside formed during a tectonic event on the parent body, an impact
event in space, explosive breakup in earth's atmosphere, or other??

Also, regarding Plainview(1917), can anyone tell me if the newest
edition of the Catalog makes reference to this meteorite being a
possible witnessed fall from 1903(?)?

Thanking you in advance,
Charlie Devine