[meteorite-list] A different slant.

From: Michael Casper <Michael_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:49:01 2004

------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C14044.62A7C340

A different slant.

> [...]

> > Department of Biology & Microbiology
> >=20
> > >Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 10:14:27 -0700
> > >
> > >Dear Friends,=20
> > >
> > >Yesterday I heard a lot of talk about "bombing Afghanistan back to=20
> > >the Stone Age." Ronn Owens, on KGO Talk Radio allowed that this=20
> > >would mean killing innocent people, people who had nothing to do=20
> > >with this atrocity, but "we're at war, we have to accept collateral =

> > >damage," and he asked, "What else can we do? What is your=20
> > >suggestion?" Minutes later I heard a TV pundit discussing whether=20
> > >we "have the belly to do what must be done."
> > >
> > >And I thought about these issues especially hard because I am from=20
> > >Afghanistan, and even though I've lived here for 35 years I've =
never=20
> > >lost track of what's been going on over there. So I want to share a =

> > >few thoughts with anyone who will listen.
> > >
> > >I speak as one who hates the Taliban and Osama Bin Laden. There is=20
> > >no doubt in my mind that these people were responsible for the=20
> > >atrocity in New York. I fervently wish to see those monsters=20
> > >punished.
> > >
> > >But the Taliban and Ben Laden are not Afghanistan. They're not =
even=20
> > >the government of Afghanistan. The Taliban are a cult of ignorant=20
> > >psychotics who captured Afghanistan in 1997 and have been holding=20
> > >the country in bondage ever since. Bin Laden is a political =
criminal=20
> > >with a master plan. When you think Taliban, think Nazis. When you=20
> > >think Bin Laden, think Hitler. And when you think "the people of=20
> > >Afghanistan" think "the Jews in the concentration camps." It's =
not=20
> > >only that the Afghan people had nothing to do with this atrocity.=20
> > >They were the first victims of the perpetrators. They would love =
for=20
> > >someone to eliminate the Taliban and clear out the rats nest of=20
> > >international thugs holed up in their country. I guarantee it.
> > >
> > >Some say, if that's the case, why don't the Afghans rise up and=20
> > >overthrow the Taliban themselves? The answer is, they're starved,=20
> > >exhausted, damaged, and incapacitated. A few years ago, the United =

> > >Nations estimated that there are 500,000 disabled orphans in=20
> > >Afghanistan--a country with no economy, no food. Millions of=20
> > >Afghans are widows of the approximately two million men killed=20
> > >during the war with the Soviets. And the Taliban has been =
executing=20
> > >these women for being women and have buried some of their opponents =

> > >alive in mass graves. The soil of Afghanistan is littered with =
land=20
> > >mines and almost all the farms have been destroyed . The Afghan=20
> > >people have tried to overthrow the Taliban. They haven't been able=20
> > >to.
> > >
> > >We come now to the question of bombing Afghanistan back to the =
Stone=20
> [...]

> > >infrastructure? There is no infrastructure. Cut them off from=20
> > >medicine and health care? Too late. Someone already did all that.
> > >
> > >New bombs would only land in the rubble of earlier bombs. Would=20
> > >they at least get the Taliban? Not likely. In today's Afghanistan,=20
> > >only the Taliban eat, only they have the means to move around.=20
> > >They'd slip away and hide. (They have already, I hear.) Maybe >=20
> > >the bombs would get some of those disabled orphans, they don't move =

> > >too fast, they don't even have wheelchairs. But flying over Kabul=20
> > >and dropping bombs wouldn't really be a strike against the =
criminals=20
> > >who did this horrific thing. Actually it would be making common=20
> > >cause with the Taliban--by raping once again the people they've =
been=20
> > >raping all this time
> > >
> > >So what else can be done, then? Let me now speak with true fear and =

> > >trembling. The only way to get Bin Laden is to go in there with=20
> > >ground troops. I think that when people speak of "having the belly=20
> > >to do what needs to be done" many of them are thinking in terms of=20
> > >having the belly to kill as many as needed. They are thinking =
about=20
> > >overcoming moral qualms about killing innocent people. But it's the =

> > >belly to die not kill that's actually on the table. Americans will =

> > >die in a land war to get Bin Laden. And not just because some=20
> > >Americans would die fighting their way through Afghanistan to Bin=20
> > >Laden's hideout. It's much bigger than that, folks. To get any=20
> > >troops to Afghanistan, we'd have to go through Pakistan. Would they =

> > >let us? Not likely. The conquest of Pakistan would have to be =
first.=20
> > >Will other Muslim nations just stand by? You see where I'm going.=20
> > >The invasion approach is a flirtation with global war between Islam =

> > >and the West.
> > >
> > >And that is Bin Laden's program. That's exactly what he wants and=20
> > >why he did this thing. Read his speeches and statements. It's all=20
> > >right there. AT the moment, of course, "Islam" as such does not=20
> > >exist. There are Muslims and there are Muslim countries, but no =
such=20
> > >political entity as Islam. Bin Laden believes that if he can get a =

> > >war started, he can constitute this entity and he'd be running it.=20
> > >He really believes Islam would beat the west. It might seem=20
> > >ridiculous, but he figures if he can polarize the world into Islam=20
> > >and the West, he's got a billion soldiers. If the West wreaks a=20
> > >holocaust in Muslim lands, that's a billion people with nothing =
left=20
> > >to lose, even better from Bin Laden's point of view. He's probably =

> > >wrong about winning, in the end the west would probably=20
> > >overcome--whatever that would mean in such a war; but the war would =

> > >last for years and millions would die, not just theirs but ours. =
Who=20
> > >has the belly for that? Bin Laden yes, but anyone else?
> > >
> > >I don't have a solution. But I do believe that suffering and =
poverty=20
> > >are the soil in which terrorism grows. Bin Laden and his cohorts=20
> > >want to bait us into creating more such soil, so they and their =
kind=20
> > >can flourish. We can't let him do that. That's my humble opinion.
> > >
> > >Tamim Ansary
>=20
>=20

------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C14044.62A7C340

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>A different =
slant.<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>&gt;=20
Subject:&nbsp; FW: From someone who grew up in Afghanistan<BR>&gt; =
<BR>&gt;=20
<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; &gt; Dear Colleagues,<BR>&gt; &gt; <BR>&gt; &gt; As we =
reflect=20
upon the tragic events of this week and an appropriate <BR>&gt; &gt; =
"response,"=20
I thought you might like to see this letter from my <BR>&gt; &gt; =
college=20
roommate, Tamim Ansary, who grew up in Afghanistan.&nbsp; I think =
<BR>&gt; &gt;=20
he offers an interesting perspective on Bin Laden, the Taliban, and =
<BR>&gt;=20
&gt; Afghanistan.<BR>&gt; &gt; <BR>&gt; &gt; Toivo Kallas<BR>&gt; &gt;=20
Department of Biology &amp; Microbiology<BR>&gt; &gt; <BR>&gt; &gt; =
&gt;Date:=20
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 10:14:27 -0700<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;Dear =
Friends,=20
<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;Yesterday I heard a lot of talk =
about=20
"bombing Afghanistan back to <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;the Stone Age." Ronn =
Owens, on=20
KGO Talk Radio allowed that this <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;would mean killing =
innocent=20
people, people who had nothing to do <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;with this =
atrocity, but=20
"we're at war, we have to accept collateral <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;damage," =
and he=20
asked, "What else can we do? What is your <BR>&gt; &gt; =
&gt;suggestion?"&nbsp;=20
Minutes later I heard a TV pundit discussing whether <BR>&gt; &gt; =
&gt;we "have=20
the belly to do what must be done."<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; =
&gt;And I=20
thought about these issues especially hard because I am from <BR>&gt; =
&gt;=20
&gt;Afghanistan, and even though I've lived here for 35 years I've never =

<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;lost track of what's been going on over there. So I =
want to=20
share a <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;few thoughts with anyone who will =
listen.<BR>&gt; &gt;=20
&gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;I speak as one who hates the Taliban and Osama Bin =
Laden.=20
There is <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;no doubt in my mind that these people were=20
responsible for the <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;atrocity in New York. I fervently =
wish to=20
see those monsters <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;punished.<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; =
&gt;=20
&gt;But the Taliban and Ben Laden are not Afghanistan.&nbsp; They're not =
even=20
<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;the government of Afghanistan.&nbsp; The Taliban are a =
cult of=20
ignorant <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;psychotics who captured Afghanistan in 1997 =
and have=20
been holding <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;the country in bondage ever since. Bin =
Laden is a=20
political criminal <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;with a master plan.&nbsp; When you =
think=20
Taliban, think Nazis. When you <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;think Bin Laden, think =
Hitler.=20
And when you think "the people of <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;Afghanistan" think =
"the Jews=20
in the concentration camps."&nbsp;&nbsp; It's not <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;only =
that=20
the Afghan people had nothing to do with this atrocity. <BR>&gt; &gt; =
&gt;They=20
were the first victims of the perpetrators. They would love for <BR>&gt; =
&gt;=20
&gt;someone to eliminate the Taliban and clear out the rats nest of =
<BR>&gt;=20
&gt; &gt;international thugs holed up in their country. I guarantee =
it.<BR>&gt;=20
&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;Some say, if that's the case, why don't the =
Afghans=20
rise up and <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;overthrow the Taliban themselves? The =
answer is,=20
they're starved, <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;exhausted, damaged, and =
incapacitated.&nbsp;=20
A few years ago, the United <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;Nations estimated that =
there are=20
500,000 disabled orphans in <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;Afghanistan--a country =
with no=20
economy, no food.&nbsp; Millions of <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;Afghans are widows =
of the=20
approximately two million men killed <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;during the war =
with the=20
Soviets.&nbsp; And the Taliban has been executing <BR>&gt; &gt; =
&gt;these women=20
for being women and have buried some of their opponents <BR>&gt; &gt; =
&gt;alive=20
in mass graves.&nbsp; The soil of Afghanistan is littered with land =
<BR>&gt;=20
&gt; &gt;mines and almost all the farms have been destroyed . The Afghan =

<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;people have tried to overthrow the Taliban. They =
haven't been=20
able <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;to.<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;We come =
now to the=20
question of bombing Afghanistan back to the Stone <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;Age. =
Trouble=20
with that scheme is, it's already been done. The <BR>&gt; &gt; =
&gt;Soviets took=20
care of it .&nbsp; Make the Afghans suffer? They're already <BR>&gt; =
&gt;=20
&gt;suffering. Level their houses? Done. Turn their schools into piles =
<BR>&gt;=20
&gt; &gt;of rubble? Done.&nbsp; Eradicate their hospitals? Done.&nbsp; =
Destroy=20
their <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;infrastructure?&nbsp; There is no =
infrastructure.&nbsp;=20
Cut them off from <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;medicine and health care?&nbsp; Too =
late.=20
Someone already did all that.<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;New =
bombs would=20
only land in the rubble of earlier bombs.&nbsp; Would <BR>&gt; &gt; =
&gt;they at=20
least get the Taliban? Not likely. In today's Afghanistan, <BR>&gt; &gt; =

&gt;only the Taliban eat, only they have the means to move around. =
<BR>&gt; &gt;=20
&gt;They'd slip away and hide. (They have already, I hear.)&nbsp; Maybe =
&gt;=20
<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;the bombs would get some of those disabled orphans, =
they don't=20
move <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;too fast, they don't even have wheelchairs. But =
flying=20
over Kabul <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;and dropping bombs wouldn't really be a =
strike=20
against the criminals <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;who did this horrific thing. =
Actually it=20
would be making common <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;cause with the Taliban--by =
raping once=20
again the people they've been <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;raping all this =
time<BR>&gt;=20
&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;So what else can be done, then? Let me now =
speak with=20
true fear and <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;trembling. The only way to get Bin Laden =
is to=20
go in there with <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;ground troops. I think that when =
people speak=20
of "having the belly <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;to do what needs to be done" many =
of them=20
are thinking in terms of <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;having the belly to kill as =
many as=20
needed.&nbsp; They are thinking about <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;overcoming moral =
qualms=20
about killing innocent people. But it's the <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;belly to =
die not=20
kill that's actually on the table.&nbsp; Americans will <BR>&gt; &gt; =
&gt;die in=20
a land war to get Bin Laden.&nbsp; And not just because some <BR>&gt; =
&gt;=20
&gt;Americans would die fighting their way through Afghanistan to Bin =
<BR>&gt;=20
&gt; &gt;Laden's hideout.&nbsp; It's much bigger than that, folks. To =
get any=20
<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;troops to Afghanistan, we'd have to go through =
Pakistan. Would=20
they <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;let us? Not likely. The conquest of Pakistan =
would have=20
to be first. <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;Will other Muslim nations just stand by? =
You see=20
where I'm going. <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;The invasion approach is a flirtation =
with=20
global war between Islam <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;and the West.<BR>&gt; &gt;=20
&gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;And that is Bin Laden's program. That's exactly =
what he=20
wants and <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;why he did this thing.&nbsp; Read his =
speeches and=20
statements. It's all <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;right there.&nbsp; AT the moment, =
of=20
course, "Islam" as such does not <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;exist. There are =
Muslims and=20
there are Muslim countries, but no such <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;political =
entity as=20
Islam.&nbsp; Bin Laden believes that if he can get a <BR>&gt; &gt; =
&gt;war=20
started, he can constitute this entity and he'd be running it. <BR>&gt; =
&gt;=20
&gt;He really believes Islam would beat the west. It might seem <BR>&gt; =
&gt;=20
&gt;ridiculous, but he figures if he can polarize the world into Islam =
<BR>&gt;=20
&gt; &gt;and the West, he's got a billion soldiers.&nbsp; If the West =
wreaks a=20
<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;holocaust in Muslim lands, that's a billion people =
with=20
nothing left <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;to lose, even better from Bin Laden's =
point of=20
view.&nbsp; He's probably <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;wrong about winning, in the =
end the=20
west would probably <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;overcome--whatever that would mean =
in such=20
a war; but the war would <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;last for years and millions =
would=20
die, not just theirs but ours. Who <BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;has the belly for =
that? Bin=20
Laden yes, but anyone else?<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;I don't =
have a=20
solution. But I do believe that suffering and poverty <BR>&gt; &gt; =
&gt;are the=20
soil in which terrorism grows. Bin Laden and his cohorts <BR>&gt; &gt; =
&gt;want=20
to bait us into creating more such soil, so they and their kind <BR>&gt; =
&gt;=20
&gt;can flourish. We can't let him do that. That's my humble =
opinion.<BR>&gt;=20
&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;Tamim Ansary<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;=20
<BR></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C14044.62A7C340--