[meteorite-list] Silica Gel w/out chloride indicator

From: capricorn89 <capricorn89_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:49:01 2004

Information item: Silica w/out blue chloride indicator

For anyone interested in only small quantities, I offer on my website (as a
service more than anything else) 10 g. bags of silica-gel WITHOUT THE BLUE
INDICATOR as well as the indicator cards. (I believe John Gwilliam does as
well.) Each bag is supposed to protect 91 cu. in. (As John stated, these
can be recharged. I ship them in tight (new) paint cans in which they can
safely be kept until used. In my own experience I have found to get a good
price one has to buy way beyond what may be needed over the short-term, and
there is a shelf life on this product. In a non-100% sealed plastic case,
I have found that a few bags will bring down 60% r.h. to way under 30%. (I
was skeptical until I saw it happen!)

However, for my personal collection, I have used silica with the blue
indicator for over 30 years in a tight display case and have noticed no
problems of any kind. I'm not concerned about a few chlorine atoms jumping
out of the bag and onto my meteorites, but that is my personal choice, so I
can only speak for myself. In respect of other points of view and to cover
all bases, I offer bags without the blue indicator.

Ron Hartman
www.meteorite1.com