[meteorite-list] Matteo

From: meteorites_at_space.com <meteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:49:00 2004

On Sat, 15 September 2001, Nick Gessler wrote:

> I'll bet I'm one of only a very few people on this list who has ever met
> Matteo face to face. I visited him in Venice some time ago. He showed me
> his Lido Beach find and I showed him some of our California and Nevada
> finds. Since then we have written on occasion and consulted on the risks
> of dealing with Casablancans. He was polite, considerate, warm and
> cordial. His English is much much better than my Italian. I regard him as
> I do many other friends I meet during the course of meteorite chasing,
> teaching and doing research. We all have daily responsibilities to look
> after which do not disappear in the face of tragedy.
> Nick

I is not right to boycott him because of his "life must go on" remark.

I think when we use phrases, cliches if you will, we must take into consideration nuances of meaning that may not get across cultural, and language barriers.

As I remember Matteo's first post regarding the WTC reflects better his feelings on this terrible event.

Yes, "life must go on"-- but unfortunately, it will not be going on as it was before.

Steve Schoner.