[meteorite-list] Forward from an eyewitness

From: Geoffcin_at_aol.com <Geoffcin_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:48:59 2004

--part1_114.48d64b4.28d3ea57_boundary

All,

I belong to several mailing lists, and a post came through from a friend who=
=20
works in the city as an orthopedic surgeon. It is not meteorite related, but=
=20
it's worth reading.

His post;

On Tuesday 9/11, I was on the LICH hospital roof, two miles from the World
Trade Center, awaiting the arrival of casualties.=A0 I saw people jump from
the towers.=A0 I saw the twin towers fall.=A0 I felt the shock wave from the
blast, felt the burning heat, smelled the char.=A0 I spent most of 9/11
tending to the dead and dying.=A0 I watched people drown in their own
pulmonary fluids, their lungs seared by fire and dust.

My wife heads up NYC=B9s Bioterrorism response team and was on her way to th=
bunker at 7 WTC, when the towers fell.=A0 I lost communication with her and
thought she had died, and did not learn till 5:00 PM that she was alive.=A0=20=
We
are physically all right, though we both inhaled the fallout and probably
sustained lung damage from the asbestos.=A0 We are psychologically devastate=
d.

The hospital has run out of orthopaedic hardware, but it=B9s OK as there are
no more victims to treat; they=B9re all dead.=A0 My wife is currently headin=
g up
the biological and environmental hazard team and working out of the
Laboratory and Morgue building.=A0 Her ability to concentrate was hampered b=
the constant hammering outside.=A0 The National Guard were making coffins,
6,000 coffins.

I made it in to my office today.=A0 The city continues to burn and the air i=
acrid, unbreathable.=A0 There is a great void in the Manhattan skyline.

How You Can Help

We no longer need blood, your response has been overwhelming.=A0 However we
must begin the rebirth of our city.=A0 You=A0 can give generously to one of=20=
the
charities, which make NYC a great place to live.=A0 I suggest the 9/11 fund
which has been set up the Council on Foundations and United Way to
specifically help victims of Tuesday=B9s tragedy:

September 11th Fund
c/o United Way of New York City
2 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10016

https://www.uwnyc.com/epledge/sept11.cfm

Barry S. Gloger,=A0 MD, FAAOS
Clinical Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
State University of New York - Downstate
Chief of Spine Surgery
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
Long Island College Hospital
161 Atlantic Ave
Brooklyn, NY=A0 11201-6720
(718) 643-1836
FAX (718) 625-6735
bigortho_at_aol.com

--part1_114.48d64b4.28d3ea57_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=3D2>All,
<BR>
<BR>I belong to several mailing lists, and a post came through from a friend=
 who works in the city as an orthopedic surgeon. It is not meteorite related=
, but it's worth reading.
<BR>
<BR>His post;
<BR>
<BR>On Tuesday 9/11, I was on the LICH hospital roof, two miles from the Wor=
ld
<BR>Trade Center, awaiting the arrival of casualties.=A0 I saw people jump f=
rom
<BR>the towers.=A0 I saw the twin towers fall.=A0 I felt the shock wave from=
 the
<BR>blast, felt the burning heat, smelled the char.=A0 I spent most of 9/11
<BR>tending to the dead and dying.=A0 I watched people drown in their own
<BR>pulmonary fluids, their lungs seared by fire and dust.
<BR>
<BR>My wife heads up NYC=B9s Bioterrorism response team and was on her way t=
o the
<BR>bunker at 7 WTC, when the towers fell.=A0 I lost communication with her=20=
and
<BR>thought she had died, and did not learn till 5:00 PM that she was alive.=
=A0 We
<BR>are physically all right, though we both inhaled the fallout and probabl=
<BR>sustained lung damage from the asbestos.=A0 We are psychologically devas=
tated.
<BR>
<BR>The hospital has run out of orthopaedic hardware, but it=B9s OK as there=
 are
<BR>no more victims to treat; they=B9re all dead.=A0 My wife is currently he=
ading up
<BR>the biological and environmental hazard team and working out of the
<BR>Laboratory and Morgue building.=A0 Her ability to concentrate was hamper=
ed by
<BR>the constant hammering outside.=A0 The National Guard were making coffin=
s,
<BR>6,000 coffins.
<BR>
<BR>I made it in to my office today.=A0 The city continues to burn and the a=
ir is
<BR>acrid, unbreathable.=A0 There is a great void in the Manhattan skyline.
<BR>
<BR>How You Can Help
<BR>
<BR>We no longer need blood, your response has been overwhelming.=A0 However=
 we
<BR>must begin the rebirth of our city.=A0 You=A0 can give generously to one=
 of the
<BR>charities, which make NYC a great place to live.=A0 I suggest the 9/11 f=
und
<BR>which has been set up the Council on Foundations and United Way to
<BR>specifically help victims of Tuesday=B9s tragedy:
<BR>
<BR>September 11th Fund
<BR>c/o United Way of New York City
<BR>2 Park Avenue
<BR>New York, NY 10016
<BR>
<BR>https://www.uwnyc.com/epledge/sept11.cfm
<BR>
<BR>Barry S. Gloger,=A0 MD, FAAOS
<BR>Clinical Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
<BR>State University of New York - Downstate
<BR>Chief of Spine Surgery
<BR>Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
<BR>Long Island College Hospital
<BR>161 Atlantic Ave