[meteorite-list] What is this?

From: meteorites_at_space.com <meteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:48:57 2004

On Sat, 08 September 2001, "Allen Shaw" wrote:

> Glacial erratic.
> ---Shaw.

Looks like another "pass down story" and a meteorwrong to me.

I get these all the time at my meteorite ID site. As of yet, I have yet to encounter a meteorite where the owner of such writes:

 "This was seen to fall by my great-grandfather, (or mother, relative, son, daughter, next door neighbor, etc) and it has been passed down (given, traded, gifted, etc) to me and now I want to sell it. How much is it worth?"

Now such things appear on Ebay all the time, because the seller sincerely believes that the find is a meteorite because that is what they have believed for years, often from childhood.

I always take such stories with more than a grain of salt until I see the piece in hand.

But in all such cases, backed by such claims-- thus far I have yet to get a meteorite in hand.

(Besides-- for a "fresh" fall-- does it look like one?)

NOT!

Regards,
Steve Schoner
AMS