[meteorite-list] African Moldavites ?!

From: Michael Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:48:55 2004

Jason Phillips wrote:
> Good Afternoon List,
> I have recently been reading about a newly discovered moldavite from
> Africa being found at the foothills of the Kilimanjaro. Anyone else
> heard about these?
> Take care,
> Jason Phillips
Hi Jason & all,
        A "moldavite" from anywhere but the Czech Republic is an oxymoron.
I had someone try to sell me "moldavite" from China.
        Give me a break! There MIGHT be naturally occurring green tektites
from these places (Georgiaites are a brownish green) but that does not
make them "moldavites." Still, it would be interesting to have a look at
them.
        Everyone should also be aware that glass makers have now mastered
producing fake moldavite to such a high degree of realism that the most
experienced collectors and diggers from the Czech Republic cannot even
tell the difference.
        So, do not buy any moldavite unless your supplier has a long term
relationship with the actual finder - at least I wouldn't.
        As far as "moldavite" from Africa, China or else where - paradoxical
label - at BEST.
        Best wishes, Michael
--
Heck is where people go who don't believe in gosh.