[meteorite-list] Coolidge Classification

From: Bernd Pauli HD <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:48:14 2004

Hello List!

The Labennes wrote:

> Hello Bernd and all, Now there is one CR3! The first meteorite to be
> found of the type CR3 is one of our finds: Name: SAH00182 - Tpye: CR3

Bernd responded:

> Congratulations on this rare Saharan find! A very interesting
> scientific comment by M.K. Weisberg. You will know that
> Coolidge is classified as a CR3.8

My reference was:

G.W. Kallemeyn and A.E. Rubin (1995) Coolidge and Loongana 001
A new carbonaceous grouplet (Meteoritics 30-1, 1995, p. 20):

"They are also similar in petrologic type (3.8-4) and shock stage (S2)"

In Monica Grady's Fifth Edition of the Meteorite Catalogue, we find:

C3.8 (not CR !) - ungrouped

For Alex Seidel it is still a "C4-UNGR" (pers. comm.).

In an article by Huss et al. (2001) it is a: CV4

HUSS G.R. et al. (2001) Aluminum-26 in calcium-aluminum-rich
inclusions and chondrules from unequilibrated ordinary chondrites
(MAPS 36-7, 2001 pp. 975-997).

Does anyone (and by anyone I do not mean Bernd :-) know
the correct classification of Coolidge carbonaceous chondrite?

Best wishes,

(CB) - No, not Bencubbinite

but

Confused Bernd