[meteorite-list] Salida

From: Bernd Pauli HD <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:48:13 2004

Matt inquired:

> I had an inquiry the other day about a possible crater located north
> of Salida, Colorado. If memory serves, wasn't this investigated by
> Nininger and discredited? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Hallo Matt and List,

The only "strucrure" in my crater database is
                 C r e s t o n e
almost due south of Salida. Here is the entry:

Meteoritic origin was suggested for a regular elliptical bowl in sand
by R. Barringer (Prg. Met.Soc. Meeting, Ottawa, 1963) but rejected
by U.B. Marvin (Prg. Met.Soc. Meeting, Ottawa, 1964, p. 12). The
crater morphology re-examined; lack of evidence of impact or explosion
indicates that it is not meteoritic or cometary, U.B. Marvin and T.C.
Marvin, Meteoritics, 1966, vol. 3, p. 1.

Bernd