[meteorite-list] Bleak Saharan Meteorites Not So

From: Mark Fox <unclefireballmtf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:48:13 2004

October 21, 2001

Greetings Meteorite Enthusiasts!

I must say that desert meteorites, particularly the
Saharan finds which I will be mainly addressing in
this letter, are not without interesting stories, even
if most seem quite similar when their sketchy
discoveries are compared. In fact, I find even their
discoveries somewhat interesting since such little is
known about their locations, how they were found, and
the people finding them. This secrecy and mystery
that shrouds many of them, may in a small way be why
morel mushroom hunting is as interesting as it is.
Besides this though, they all do contain a colorful
story that, in my humble opinion, is perfect for
introducing potential meteorite enthusiasts to the
hobby. Thoughts of the Sahara desert with camel
caravans, lush oases, daring safaris, and what have
you, as pictured from the silver screen mingled with
sheer mystery would make any Saharan stone seem
fascinating. What's more, after a potential collector
handles such a rock and it is told above all things to
be a meteorite, a new set of thoughts takes hold,
thoughts of a huge boulder tumbling through the
blackness of the either world, the crashing of mighty
asteroids, unforseen worlds, and the bewildering
thought of the rock striking the windswept, desert
sand!

Thus, I would say, even though many of the desert
meteorites are stones, that they would still be
equally impressive to a new collector (or simply a
meteorite enthusiast who likes good stories) as does
an iron fragment from Meteor Crater, and/or the like.
Nevertheless, this does not necessarily mean that I
rather prefer an NWA or some other desert meteorite
over a Michigan meteorite for example. Rather, I am
simply expressing that desert meteorites, at least to
me, are not as bleak as some may hint, despite our
absent knowledge about the details concerning many
desert space rock discoveries and discoverers.

Long strewn fields!

Mark Fox
Newaygo, MI USA