[meteorite-list] Mars rocks and Moon rocks

From: almitt <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:48:10 2004

--------------D44DC5B44ECB9159E3F634CF

Greg and all,

The red color comes from oxidation on the surface of Mars (past moisture on the
planet). Cut the rocks open on Mars and they look different just as Earth rocks look
different than our blue looking planet. Not trying to be smart here but just
illustrating to everyone. An impactor would also be excavating material deeper in than
the outside regions.

--AL

GShanos_at_aol.com wrote:

> Dear List Members:
>
> I have a question- why do lunar meteorites look like moon rocks (anorthosites and
> basalts) while Mars rocks do not (zagami- grey, nahkla- green and chassigny white)
> Why are the Mars rocks not a reddish color like their parent planet?
> Look forward to hearing from everyone.
>
> Sincerely
> Greg Shanos

--------------D44DC5B44ECB9159E3F634CF

Greg and all,
on the planet). Cut the rocks open on Mars and they look different just
as Earth rocks look different than our blue looking planet. Not trying
to be smart here but just illustrating to everyone. An impactor would also
be excavating material deeper in than the outside regions.
Members:</font></font>
lunar meteorites look like moon rocks (anorthosites and basalts) while
Mars rocks do not (zagami- grey, nahkla- green and chassigny white)</font></font>
a reddish color like their parent planet?</font></font>
from everyone.</font></font>