[meteorite-list] Meteorites rule at the Smithsonian

From: Tracy Latimer <tracyl_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:48:10 2004

Aloha to all!
Just departed Washington DC on our whirlwind tour of the continental US.
DC is practically a ghost town; no lines anywhere even for popular
attractions. Normally there would be at least a small wait to go into the
Museum of natural History on the Mall and see the Hope Diamond, but we
went back there 3 times, and there was never a line. Of course, the main
attraction was not necessarily the pretty carbon atom matrix :) but the
Tucson Ring against the wall right next to the diamond! Got a good
picture of it (I hope; no telling until I can develop the film) and may of
the other magnificent specimens on display. A slice of Mundrabilla the
size of a coffee table, the Goose Lake iron, platters of pallasites, and
of course the lovely oriented Lafayette. I even got to touch a slice of
Zagami! Too many more to list, but if you have the chance, go to the
Smithsonian and take a look. It's free, and well worth your time. On
next to Boston, and eventually theb Chicago Field Museum, and more
meteorites.

Tracy Latimer
--blessing my husband for his patience with me while I gawked--