[meteorite-list] The Possible Indiana Leonid Meteorites

From: Bernd Pauli HD <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:47:13 2004

almitt wrote:

> ... waiting for Bernd to chime in here :-)

What should I chime in with? OK, Steve's words (see above) remind me
of Leonids and possible lunar impacts. In 1999 several observers saw
brief flashes near the center of the Moon's dark side during the peak
activity of the Leonids when they rained down on our satellite and hit
its surface. But the Moon will probably be too close to full so that
the fraction not illuminated will be too small. But you never know!

> don't aubrites have a few flakes of nickel-iron ... ?

McSWEEN H.Y., Jr. (1999) Meteorites and Their Parent Planets II,
pp. 140-142:

The aubrites are achondrites composed primarily of nearly iron-free
magnesium pyroxene (enstatite), ... They also contain small but
variable amounts of i r o n - n i c k e l metal, olivine, troilite,
and a variety of exotic minerals ...

Best regards,

Bernd