[meteorite-list] Simplified Meteorite Rust treatment (fwd)

From: capricorn89 <capricorn89_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:47:13 2004

>From Steve Witt:

<<From what I've been told and have read about irons is that you do
> not expose them to water and especially not for an extended period of
> time...

Just my own opinion for what it may be worth:

I wouldn't do it with my specimens. Neutralize all you want, you still will
have residue water deep in fissures and that means long-term rust. You can
not believe how quickly and how deep and how much water will permeate into
the iron matrix, and that means trouble, not necessary right away, but maybe
months or years later. With many irons, it isn't the chlorides causing the
rusting, its water. Just wait for the right (or wrong, depending on your
point-of-view) temperature and r.h. to come along and... Some will
disagree, and that is your choice. But I'm saying...no extensive soaking
with water...in any form....for any reason, not with my irons, or those for
my clients. I've been cutting and preserving irons for several decades.
Our Canyon Diablos, Odessas, etc. do not rust. (Maybe a trouble-maker once
in a rare instance, but not many.) [You still need to take care of them.]
I frankly don't want a lot of chemistry inside my meteorites for many
reasons.

If you want to soak, go to 99% isopropyl alcohol, if you must! Its not
expensive.

Ron Hartman

(Disgusting plug follows:)

That's why we are "repairing" many so-called neutralized irons for our
clients, to the extent that we are as busy as we can be! :=)
www.meteorite1.com
Restoration center:
www.meteorite1.net