[meteorite-list] Leonids in Colorado (2)

From: Impactika_at_aol.com <Impactika_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:47:12 2004

--part1_cc.1e57348.2929b144_boundary

Hello,

Last night I saw my very first meteorite shower! And it was spectacular.

I went up in the Rockies some 80 miles from Denver, (50 miles of paved road,
30 miles of dirt road, in the dark!!!) where a COMETS member has a log cabin.
 At first we thought we would not see anything since it was getting cloudy,
so we all opted for a nap until about 2am.
By then the sky was completely clear, and the meteors were shooting in every
direction: small ones, big ones, often 2, 3, 4 or more at the same time in
different parts of the sky. And several big, very showy ones. I felt that I
needed eyes behind my head to see them all. It was amazing. I am sorry we
did not even attempt to count them we were too busy with "OOHHHsss!" and
"AAAAHHHHsss".
And it went on until about 5am. By then the "show" was slowing down and we
were so cold that we had to go back in and hover around the fireplace, coffee
in hand. Then we crawled back in the sleeping bags.

When we got up this morning it was cloudy again and I drove back to Denver
through rain then snow.
I agree with Ginger, we were very lucky to have just that window, just long
enough to watch the Show!

When is the next one?

PS: I have a bunch of Ebay auctions closing tonight. (Back to business, sigh)
(seller name: Impactika_at_aol.com)

Anne Black
http://www.IMPACTIKA.com
IMPACTIKA_at_aol.com
http://www.TheMineralCompany.com

--part1_cc.1e57348.2929b144_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=2>Hello,
<BR>
<BR>Last night I saw my very first meteorite shower! &nbsp;And it was spectacular.
<BR>
<BR>I went up in the Rockies some 80 miles from Denver, (50 miles of paved road, 30 miles of dirt road, in the dark!!!) where a COMETS member has a log cabin. &nbsp;At first we thought we would not see anything since it was getting cloudy, so we all opted for a nap until about 2am.
<BR>By then the sky was completely clear, and the meteors were shooting in every direction: small ones, big ones, often 2, 3, 4 or more at the same time in different parts of the sky. And several big, very showy ones. I felt that I needed eyes behind my head to see them all. It was amazing. &nbsp;I am sorry we did not even attempt to count them we were too busy with "OOHHHsss!" and "AAAAHHHHsss".
<BR>And it went on until about 5am. By then the "show" was slowing down and we were so cold that we had to go back in and hover around the fireplace, coffee in hand. Then we crawled back in the sleeping bags.
<BR>
<BR>When we got up this morning it was cloudy again and I drove back to Denver through rain then snow.
<BR>I agree with Ginger, we were very lucky to have just that window, just long enough to watch the Show!
<BR>
<BR>When is the next one? &nbsp;
<BR>
<BR>PS: I have a bunch of Ebay auctions closing tonight. (Back to business, sigh)
<BR>(seller name: Impactika_at_aol.com)
<BR>
<BR>Anne Black
<BR>http://www.IMPACTIKA.com