[meteorite-list] LEONIDS FROM FLORIDA

From: GShanos_at_aol.com <GShanos_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:47:12 2004

--part1_d3.1dfaa5e.29295842_boundary

Dear List Members:

I witnessed the Leonid Meteor Shower from the Chiefland Star Party near
Gainesville, Florida. Chiefland claims one of the darkest sites in Florida,
next to the Everglades of course. An added plus is no mosquitos in Chiefland.

I witnessed 589 leonids and 9 sporatics in two hours!! Approximately every
ten minutes there were about 100 meteors visible to the unaided eye! The
meteors were not fireballs, but were swift, clearly visible often leaving
trails.

The skies were less than ideal, partly cloudy with visibility varying
thoughout the two hour peroid betwen 4am and 6am local time. By 5 am, the
sky was rather clear.

Here is the breakdown:

4:20 am to 5:20 am 255 leonids, 3 sporatics

5:25 am to 6:25 am 334 leonids, 6 sporatics

Total count was 589 leonids and 9 sporatics.

This was the best meteor shower as far as quantity of meteors I have ever
observed!
In addition, I was interviewed via telephone with a newspaper reporter for
the Tampa Tribune. The article will appear in tomorrows paper. I can hardly
wait.

Sincerely
Greg Shanos

--part1_d3.1dfaa5e.29295842_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=2>Dear List Members:
<BR>
<BR>I witnessed the Leonid Meteor Shower from the Chiefland Star Party near Gainesville, Florida. &nbsp;Chiefland claims one of the darkest sites in Florida, next to the Everglades of course. &nbsp;An added plus is no mosquitos in Chiefland.
<BR>
<BR>I witnessed 589 leonids and 9 sporatics in two hours!! &nbsp;Approximately every ten minutes there were about 100 meteors visible to the unaided eye! &nbsp;&nbsp;The meteors were not fireballs, but were swift, clearly visible often leaving trails. &nbsp;
<BR>
<BR>The skies were less than ideal, partly cloudy with visibility varying thoughout the two hour peroid betwen 4am and 6am local time. &nbsp;By 5 am, the sky was rather clear. &nbsp;
<BR>
<BR>Here is the breakdown:
<BR>
<BR>4:20 am to 5:20 am &nbsp;&nbsp;255 leonids, 3 sporatics
<BR>
<BR>5:25 am to 6:25 am &nbsp;334 leonids, 6 sporatics
<BR>
<BR>Total count was &nbsp;589 leonids &nbsp;and 9 sporatics. &nbsp;
<BR>
<BR>This was the best meteor shower as far as quantity of meteors I have ever observed!
<BR>In addition, I was interviewed via telephone with a newspaper reporter for the Tampa Tribune. &nbsp;The article will appear in tomorrows paper. &nbsp;I can hardly wait.
<BR>
<BR>Sincerely
<BR>Greg Shanos </FONT></HTML>

--part1_d3.1dfaa5e.29295842_boundary--