[meteorite-list] Leonids tonight!

From: Rhett Bourland <rbourlan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:47:12 2004

Well, its 6am and I just got home from watching the shower. It was kind of
foggy in SW Indiana which obscured some of the meteors towards the horizon
and there's really only thing I can say about the show tonight, WOW!!!!!!!!
The group I was with did five minute counts (as in when you see a meteor you
call it out and continue to do so for 5 minutes) a few times and we were
consistently getting around 50 and around 4-4:30 were getting at least 70
meteors every 5 minutes. A few times there were fireballs so large they
cast shadows on the ground. One fireball around 2am was right behind me and
I didn't see it but thought that someone had left the flash on their camera
turned on when they took a picture of the sky. I turned around to see who
it was only to see a still bright trail of where the fireball had past by.
That trail stayed for at least another 10-15 minutes. Another one that
exploded behind me was so bright I could see the person's face who I was
talking to.
I can't wait to hear the stories of some of the people out west who saw
tonight's shower without any fog to obscure their view.
Good night/morning/whatever,
Rhett Bourland
www.asteroidmodels.com
www.asteroidmodels.com/personal