[meteorite-list] The Ice Limit - A Review of a Fictional Book About a Meteorite Hunt

From: Rob Carr <rob.carr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:47:11 2004

_The Ice Limit_ by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child is a book I would
highly recommend to the group.

I mean, what can you say about a book where they give the hero (who's
a meteorite hunter and wanted in Chile) the false name of Dr.
Widmanstatten - and don't even explain the joke?

It's a fun read, you'll all get a kick out of it.

Come to think of it, in the short time I've been on this list, I've
seen you folks kvetching about some of the same things that come up in
the book. I think you'll like it just for that.

Now, I'm faced with a problem. I hate it when they give away too much
of the plot. I just sat through a Law and Order tonight where they
told you how it was going to end in the promo for this episode. Drives
me nuts. In the same way, I'm not going to tell you anything more
about the book. Heck, I'm going to suggest that you don't even read
any of the blurbs on the back of the book or on the inside cover -- I
wish I hadn't.

Just go out and buy the book. You'll enjoy it.

By the way: If anyone else out there happens to have a working
knowledge of nuclear orbital theory or astrophysics, yeah, there's one
item in the book that will make you gag just a bit. Just give it to
them and roll your eyes. It's still worth reading.=20

Rob