[meteorite-list] Loaning out the Children

From: David Freeman <dfreeman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:47:11 2004

Dear List;
I have placed my meager meteorite collection on display at the county
museum for a six month loan period. I am in mourning. Along with the
pride of ownership, and multiple rewards of sharing my "family" of
unearthly rocks comes the sadness that my most treasured, ( even over my
world class gemmy terrestrial rocks) "babies" will be away visiting for
half a year! Granted, they are still in the same county, but still not
close by for my assistance should they develop some rust, or heaven
forbid, the dreaded ooze!
It is an interesting emotion...sort of like loaning out ones' wife...or
worse yet, ones most proud hot rod sports car.
I have assisted the local paper in informing the public of the upcoming
Leonid shower, and will give a lecture about meteorites after the grand
opening of our new Sweetwater County Museum very soon. Anyone passing
through by car on I-80 to the 2002 Salt Lake olympics is encouraged to
stop for a moment and enjoy the museum, and my small odd assemblage of
meteorite pieces.
I was saddened that the museum did not want my Haag T shirt, meteorite
cane, part of a brick from the the historic Route 66 Meteorite Museum,
or my most treasured porcelain fragment from Mr. Nininger's crapper
from the museum. Both are complete with certificate of authentication!
 Such is academia.
Do we need a 12 step program for those who loan out there meteorite
collections for museum display?
Best wishes,
Dave Freeman Rock Springs, WY