[meteorite-list] Re: Canadian Scientists Seeking...

From: mazur_at_geo.ucalgary.ca <mazur_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:47:09 2004

For the general edification of the list, the full text (including a photo
of the fireball and infrasound record) can be found at:
http://www.fp.ucalgary.ca/unicomm/news/Nov_01/meteorites.htm

For those ambitious list members, 1:50k and 1:250k (82N) scale
maps of the area are readily available which is moderately remote
(20ish km from the road on good trails). It's beautiful country and, if
nothing else, would be a good place to spend a couple of weeks in
the spring.

Undoubtedly many will say that nothing can leave Canada if
something is found. See, http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/C-
51/39734.html for the Cultural Property Act legalese. Contrary to
what many people will tell you on both sides of the border, it is
possible to export material. An excerpt is attached below which
says that if you (I believe the applicant needs to be a Canadian
resident) apply for a permit, an 'expert'
 examiner can say yes or no. Likely no unless a significant amount
is in a Canadian collection (even then...). 'No', however, only means
that the review board must establish a delay period of between 2
and 6 months to allow Canadian institutions or public authorities to
make a fair market offer to purchase the material. You are not
obliged to accept any offer. If no offer is
received or accepted, your export permit MUST be granted. A PITA
but it
can be made to work. So is anyone game for a backcounty trip?

Mike Mazur

Determination of the Review Board
(3) In reviewing an application for an export permit, the Review
Board
shall determine whether the object in respect of which the
application
was made
(a) is included in the Control List; (http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/C-
51/C.R.C.-c.448/text.html)
(b) is of outstanding significance for one or more of the reasons set
out
in
paragraph 11(1)(a); and
(c) meets the degree of national importance referred to in paragraph
11(1)(b).
Object that does not meet criteria
(4) Where the Review Board determines that an object fails to meet
one
or more of the criteria set out in subsection (3), it shall direct a
permit
officer to issue an export permit forthwith in respect of the object.
Object that meets criteria
(5) Where the Review Board determines that an object meets all of
the
criteria set out in subsection (3), it shall,
(a) if it is of the opinion that a fair offer to purchase the object might
be
made by an institution or public authority in Canada within six
months
after the date of its determination, establish a delay period of not
less
than two months and not more than six months during which the
Review
Board will not direct that an export permit be issued in respect of
the
object; or
(b) in any other case, direct a permit officer to issue an export
permit
forthwith in respect of the object.
Notification of delay period
(6) Where the Review Board establishes a delay period under
paragraph (5)(a) in respect of an object, the Board shall give written
notice of the delay period to the person who has applied for an
export
permit in respect of the object and to the Minister, which notice
shall
include the reasons for the determination of the Board that the
object
meets all of the criteria set out in subsection (3).
Idem
(7) The Minister, on receiving notice of a delay period under
subsection
(6), shall advise such institutions and public authorities in Canada
as
the
Minister sees fit of the delay period and of the object in respect of
which
the delay period was established.
1974-75-76, c. 50, s. 23.
Request for determination of fair offer to purchase
30. (1) Subject to subsection (2), where the Review Board
establishes a
delay period under paragraph 29(5)(a) in respect of an object and
an
offer to purchase the object is made by an institution or a public
authority in Canada within that period, either the person who
applied for
an export permit in respect of the object or the institution or public
authority making the offer to purchase may, where the offer is not
accepted, by notice in writing given to the Review Board, request
the
Review Board to determine the amount of a fair cash offer to
purchase.
When request to be made
(2) No request may be made under subsection (1) less than thirty
days
before the end of the delay period established under paragraph
29(5)(a)
in respect of the object in respect of which the request is made.
Determination of the Review Board
(3) Where the Review Board receives a request under subsection
(1), it
shall determine the amount of a fair cash offer to purchase the
object in
respect of which the request is made and advise the person who
applied
for an export permit in respect of the object and the institution or
public
authority that offered to purchase the object of its determination.
Direction for export permit
(4) Where the Review Board establishes a delay period under
paragraph 29(5)(a) in respect of an object and does not receive a
request under subsection (1) in respect of the object, it shall
forthwith,
after the expiration of the delay period and on the request of the
person
who requested the review under subsection 29(1), direct a permit
officer
to issue an export permit forthwith in respect of the object.
Idem
(5) Where the Review Board establishes a delay period under
paragraph 29(5)(a) in respect of an object and receives a request
under
subsection (1) in respect of the object, it shall, after the expiration
of
the
delay period or after it has determined the amount of a fair cash
offer to
purchase the object under subsection (3), whichever time is the
later,
and on the request of the person who requested the review under
subsection 29(1), direct a permit officer to issue an export permit
forthwith in respect of the object unless it is satisfied that an
institution or
public authority has, before the request under this subsection was
made,
offered to purchase the object for an amount equal to or greater
than the
amount of the fair cash offer to purchase determined by the Review
Board.
1974-75-76, c. 50, s. 24.

On 7 Nov 2001, at 14:35, Ron Baalke wrote:

> http://www.canada.com/calgary/news/story.asp?id={5DDF144D-
650D-4470-80EA-9E429C036EC5}

> Scientists seeking help in search for meteor
> canada.com
> November 7, 2001
>
> CALGARY -- Researchers are hoping someone has a
> photograph or video of the biggest meteor to fall in Alberta
> in 40 years so they can tell where it landed.
>
> Alan Hildebrand, a planetary scientist at the University of
> Calgary, says the meteor was an asteroidal fragment that
> weighed five to 10 tonnes, about 1.5 meters in diameter.
>
> Hildebrand says it was travelling at roughly 20 kilometres
> per second and this was probably the biggest rock to fall on
> Alberta since 1960.''
>
> The flaming rock was seen streaking north across the
> Alberta sky near the British Columbia boundary on October
> 14th at around 2:20 a.m.
>
> It exploded over the northern part of Banff National Park
> with a deafening boom that could be heard 150 kilometers
> away.
>
> Eyewitnesses reported seeing hundreds of pieces of the
> rock falling to the ground, however, freshly fallen snow
> may delay the hunt for particles until next spring.
>

> Show your support at the Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund -
http://s1.amazon.com/exec/varzea/ts/my-
pay-page/PKAXFNQH7EKCX/058-5084202-7156648