[meteorite-list] Ownership of Apollo samples

From: Mike Reynolds <MReynolds_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:47:09 2004

All:

Like Ron I have attended the NASA workshop for loan of lunar materials
(there is also a meteorite "disk" that had been available). I have checked
out the disk several times and yes, it is a real pain! But for me, as an
educator and museum/science center director the advantages outweigh the
"pain."

I understand from my NASA contacts there has been a couple of "incidents"
over the years regarding the disks. However they have been far and few
between.

Now if you think being certified for using a NASA lunar sample disk, then
checking one out has challenges, you ought to try to get a lunar sample for
an institution on a permanent loan basis! NASA has been very helpful but we
have had to comply with a number of issues, all important to the safety and
security of the sample. Ron: imaging "sleeping at night" knowing you have a
lunar sample on permanent display and you are responsible for its security!

An interesting segue: I remember a few years back when the Smithsonian
Institution's National Museum of Natural History was preparing the new
Hooker Hall of Gems and Minerals (and meteorites!). The Museum had moved a
couple of the more-important pieces out for the public to see: the Hope
Diamond and ALH84001 (the heyday of the ALH84001 specimen). Being a museum
director I stood back and watched visitors approach the two. Virtually no
one looked at the meteorite; all "drooled" over the Hope Diamond. Now if
ALH84001 plays out as many think (hope!) it is FAR MORE SIGNIFICANT than the
Hope Diamond will ever be. Yet the public didn't have a clue...

Keep Looking Up,

Mike Reynolds
Chabot Space & Science Center