[meteorite-list] Ownership of Apollo samples

From: capricorn89 <capricorn89_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:47:09 2004

The lunar samples (education discs) are indeed available for education and
research. The loan requirements are very specific and all samples must be
returned within a specified time and accounted for without exception. NASA
offers a short course for educators on their use. At the conclusion, you
receive a certificate and are entitled to obtain an educators disc on loan.
These are available for both intermediate and high school once use is
substantiated. This is a fine program and one of NASA's education
objectives. I attended such a program but have always been somewhat
reluctant to actually request a sample, due to the tight security and their
value. If I had one of the discs, I don't think I would sleep until it was
returned safely.

Ron Hartman