[meteorite-list] Ponderance of cosmic/terresterial geology

From: David Freeman <dfreeman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:47:09 2004

Dear List;
If a meteorite/comet the size of the "father" of Chicxulub smacked us
as had happened in the past, does that give the jarring that plate
tetonics needs/needed to literally "move mountains' such as the Laramide
orogeny and other worldly plate tetonic events? I guess to offer a
different angle, would we have large mountain ranges if we didn't have
impacts, or is there not enough corrilation/evidence of a relationship?
  Extinctions accepted, but mountian building too?
Tetonicly challenged,
Dave Freeman