[meteorite-list] Holbrook Trip

From: capricorn89 <capricorn89_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:46:26 2004

Hello Rob,

I mailed your New Concord today via letter-post registered, 4-7 days. The
certificate and a copy of David New's original label will be sent
separately.

We sweated in the hot sticky sun with bugs for three whole days at Holbrook,
three summers ago, and decided there was NOTHING left to be found! Gee!
:=)

We did realize something interesting though about SW U.S. strewnfields.
You noticed the Santa Fe railway bisects the strewnfield. If you go farther
West to the Barringer crater, here, again, at the north end of the property
is the Santa Fe railway. (In the early days, they used to load chunks of
iron at the siding here and take to the smelter!) Now, continue farther east
to the Correo strewn field in New Mexico, and here again, the Santa Fe
bisects the strewnfield, as it also does with the Glorietta, N.M. field. In
fact, the old Santa Fe trail of Civil War days saw some battles here, within
the strewnfield. (We found a lot of shells and other battle remnants with
our detectors here, but no meteorites!) History tells us it was a Civil
War, but that was only an excuse. It was really for possession of the
strewnfield to determine owners of the pallasite :=)

RON
www.meteorite1.com