[meteorite-list] Binary Asteroid To Fly By Earth This Weekend

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:46:25 2004

Space Weather News for May 24, 2001
http://www.spaceweather.com

Late Friday, May 25th, the near-Earth asteroid 1999 KW4 will fly by Earth
13 times farther from our planet than the Moon. The space rock will be
brighter than 11th magnitude for much of the time between now and May
28th, making it an easy target for amateur astronomers with mid-sized
telescopes and CCD cameras. Yesterday, radar astronomers using NASA's
Goldstone Planetary Radar to monitor the approaching asteroid announced
that 1999 KW4 is a binary system. Visit spaceweather.com for more
information and (possibly) images of the asteroid as it passes our planet.