[meteorite-list] CCNet Excerpts: Tektites, Plant Burning and Stone tools

From: meteorites_at_space.com <meteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:46:23 2004

On Sun, 13 May 2001, "Darryl S. Futrell" wrote:

> [...]

Humm...

There is a logical improbability in this line of speculation.

The Astralites and Indochinites have the same composition, and are dated at 800,000 years. They were formed in the same event. Yet what you now say is that the Indochinites fell 800,000 years ago, but the Australites fell 15,000 years ago.

They share the same strewnfield...

Very coincidental and quite unlikely.

And such an event would most certainly have ejected HUGE quantities of tektite glass in orbits around the sun which our planet would encounter shortly after and even today.

Besides, such an event as recent a 15,000 years would have left some traces in the soil samples returned by both the Luna and Apollo missions. And we would be finding an occasional tektite in the pile of NWA's or at Antartica, or even falling now and then.

No, I don't think the stone tools need to be re-dated, the data that the researchers say supports a 15,000 year fall date for the Australites needs to be re-evaluated.

Steve Schoner, AMS
http://www.geocities.com/american_meteorite_survey