[meteorite-list] Fireballs & Optical Delusions (was, "Re: Bright Meteor Seen Over New Hampshire")

From: meteorites_at_space.com <meteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:44 2004

On Sat, 31 March 2001, Robert Verish wrote:

> I continue to find people who witnessed the SoCal
> Fireball of 2001March25, 8:20PM PST. Tonight over
> dinner an acquaintance described what he observed from
> his residence on top of Rose Hills near Whittier, CA.
>

> To him the fireball appeared to be "a very bright
> white color until near the end of its flight where it
> turned an ever deepening shade of yellow." He
> insisted upon this following observation. "I saw the
> end of the fire ball's flight where it just sputtered
> and then promptly extinguished itself. And when this
> happened it was already down below my horizon,
> somewhere between Palos Verde Hills and Hermosa Beach,
> so this thing must have extinguished itself right
> above Torrance!"
>
> When I tried to explain to him that many observers
> experience an optical illusion when they see a
> fireball reach its retardation point, and that when he
> saw his fireball extinguish it was by then, probably
> 200 miles away and around 20 miles above the Pacific
> Ocean.
>
> He said, "That's impossible! You've got to be wrong
> about that. I SAW it BELOW the horizon!"
>
> That's when the delusion begins.
>
> Bob V.

Yes, and a delusion-illusion it is. I had a long and difficult argument with a person who read my statement at http://www.geocities.com/meteorite_identification where I maintained that meteors do not burn to the ground and when they do they explode like atomic bombs and create huge craters. He countered and wrote, "I know what I and my five friends saw-- the meteor hit just about a mile away and burned all the way to the ground."

I told him "if that was so-- you would not be writing me about it-- instead I would have heard of your deaths in the papers."

He ended calling me an "educated fool" and even after I explained in detail the physics behind it still he maintained still that "I and my friends saw it burn all the way to the ground, and the pieces were no farther than a mile away."

I told him to "Go out and find those pieces and get back to me with the proof. If such were found-- then I would revise my "educated fool" 'opinion.'

The Hollywood movie image of meteorite falls is hard to die. But the effect of seeing them burn all the way to the ground might be an illusion caused by persistence of vision. That is, when a fireball is seen to streak across the sky, its bright light burns its path into the retina (just like a flash bulb does) and then, because it is traveling and the eyes follow it-- when it does burn out above the horizon, or down to, the eyes continue in the path and extend the burned image so that it appears to be below the horizon.

Thus the myth is maintained, and what they are reporting is exactly what they saw, but not what actually happened.

Steve Schoner, AMS
http://www.geocities.com/american_meteorite_survey