[meteorite-list] RE: Mars Meteorite ... Signs Of Life-Magnetite and Orientation

From: E.L. Jones <jonee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:44 2004

Parsimoniously..... On Earth I accept the presence of magnetite crystals in many
species--we have assumed they are for orientation... On Mars, however, what was
the evolutionary incentive for a bacterium to develop a magneticly based
mechanism for navigation/ orientation ? Why evolve a mechanism for detecting a
magnetic field where one scarcely exists?

Elton Jones