[meteorite-list] "Antartic" meteorite for sale on Ebay

From: Mike Farmer <farmerm_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:43 2004

--------------30337C24D89884EA37C7D9D6

How can they stop these things? You people are jumping saying all of
these are fraud.
Do you think that ebay looks at the millions of auctions that are posted
every day? How could they. They dont have a meteorite expert on location
I am sure. This to me is a buyer beware situation, nothing more. They
can't police all of these auctions and make the determination of fraud!
What if I put some of my new moon rock on ebay? Will a bunch of people
write in and say it is fraud? Most people outside of the meteorite
community do not even have a clue that there are Lunar meteorites.
You guys are taking this way too seriously. People can list what they
want, if it is fraud and can be proven, then stop them, if they are just
ignorant and don't really know what they have, it is PERFECTLY LEGAL and
normal behavior for an online GARAGE SALE which is what ebay is. The Mir
crap was funny, if someone was stupid enough to believe that they got
some Mir out of the South Pacific in a few hours, then they deserve to
lose their money.
Mike Farmer

David Freeman wrote:

> Dear John and List;
> John, you're correct, the guy seems to be an idiot. I can not believe
> for the life of me why Ebay continues to allow such improbable and
> complete hoax's to continue....I almost think that they like the
> fraud....I wouldn't buy much from ebay from the bad company they allow
> to sell there.
> I shall not purchase from ebay unless I know the party from our list.
> I feel that the auction reflects very badly on the meteorite community
> and Ebay.
> Sincerely,
> David Freeman ( this may be forwarded to Ebay, if you can figure
> out how to get it there)
>
> John Gwilliam wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>> Here's everyone's chance to get your very own meteorite from
>> Antarctica.
>> I'm too busy laughing at this one to get angry yet.
>>
>> http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=574497494
>>
>> The description says:
>>
>> "THIS IS A LARGE IRON METEORITE, IT MEASURES 3 1/4" X 2 3/4". IT
>> WEIGHS
>> ABOUT 5-8
>> POUNDS. A FREIND OF MINE, IS A SCIENTIST AND FOUND IT AT THE
>> ANTARTIC. I ALSO
>> HAVE A LARGER PIECE ABOUT 30-50LBS, AND I AM TAKING OFFERS.
>> THANKS
>> AND GOOD
>> LUCK BIDDING ON THIS PIECE."
>>
>> Hopefully no one out in cyberland will take this seriously.
>>
>> Fraudbuster...............where are you;-)
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> John Gwilliam
>> John Gwilliam Meteorites
>> PO Box 26854
>> Tempe AZ 85285
>> http://www.meteoriteimpact.com

--------------30337C24D89884EA37C7D9D6

How can they stop these things? You people are jumping saying all of these
are fraud.&nbsp;<br>
[...]
believe for the life of me why Ebay continues to allow such improbable&nbsp;
and complete hoax's to continue....I almost think that they like the fraud....I
wouldn't buy much from ebay from the bad company they allow to sell there.
and Ebay.
you can figure out how to get it there)
AND FOUND IT AT THE
AND I AM TAKING OFFERS. THANKS