[meteorite-list] Brilliant Light Plunging Into Pacific May Have Been Meteor

From: MeteorHntr_at_aol.com <MeteorHntr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:43 2004

--part1_cd.43fe09d.27f2862d_boundary

In a message dated 3/27/01 5:46:44 PM Central Standard Time,
baalke_at_zagami.jpl.nasa.gov writes:

> Troy Powers, a museum guide at Griffith Observatory, said that judging
> from the descriptions, "it could have been a meteor."
> "It might have impacted the water, although that's pretty rare," he
> said. More likely, he said, "it was a meteor, between the size of a naval
> orange and a basketball, about 40 to 50 miles high in the atmosphere."

List,

Humm, now museum guides, not just observatory astronomers, can also judge the
size of meteors.

Meteors hitting the water are "pretty rare"??? Yea I guess so, since only
70% of the Earth is covered by water!

Steve Arnold
www.meteoritebroker.com

--part1_cd.43fe09d.27f2862d_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=2>In a message dated 3/27/01 5:46:44 PM Central Standard Time,